Miniature Horses as Guide Animals (POLL: Yes or No)

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do You Think Miniature Horses Make Good Guide Animals?

• Yes

Votes: 4 4.3%
  • No

Votes: 90 95.7%

• Total voters

Jill

Aspiring Cowgirl
Reaction score
We've had this discussion many times over the years, but never as far as I remember, a poll.

I would like to see more comments, especially for the ones who voted "yes". As I said in the other thread, I think minis are great for therapy work and with physically and mentally challenged handlers, but NOT as guide animals, especially for the blind. I remember reading about a guide mini spooking through a glass door with her blind companion. Unlike dogs, minis are prey animals and will spook or bolt when frightened.

I didn't vote but my answer would be a qualified yes on a case by case basis. Depends on the mini, the person who is going to use the mini and their living situation. I can see minis used especially as psychiatric support service animals for people with panic disorder or agoraphobia type issues or for those who use service animals for balance issues, etc. I think though the drawbacks are going to be huge especially when service animals have full access rights to all kinds of places including airplanes. The minis who could truly qualify for this kind of work are few and far between. Would there be traing programs for minis? Would there be the equivalent of puppy raisers for minis? All of that would need to be discussed or there are going to be a lot of minis flunking out of the training program and putting another burden on rescue.

I think it comes down to distinquishing GUIDE animals from THERAPY animals. I think minis can be outstanding therapy animals, but feel they are a poor and dangerous choice when it comes to being guide animals.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think it comes down to distinquishing GUIDE animals from THERAPY animals. I think minis can be outstanding therapy animals, but feel they are a poor and dangerous choice when it comes to being guide animals.
This describes my feelings exactly.

Absolutely a NO for me. As has been said many times-horses are herd animals with flight instincts. Great for therapy, incredibly scary and sad for guides

It is unrealistic and unfair to expect a prey animal to forget millenia of instinct and act against their nature on the basis of, at most, a few years of training.

My gelding, Mingus, seems to think at times that he is my babysitter. He is a spirited, energetic crotch rocket of a driving horse when I'm up to it, but I've had him take over and guide me to safety when my blood sugar has plummeted (I'm a type I diabetic). I can count on him to let me lean on him if we're walking over rough ground. Keith and I have each taken naps on the ground with him. He is also amazingly protective and gentle with little kids. If there is any horse that I would trust with my safety, it is Mingus. He is excellent as a support horse.

Would I trust him as a guide horse, should I lose my vision? NEVER.

I just can't get past the vision of a blind person hanging on to a handle with a runaway horse at the other end. No. Absolutely not.

Im probably just saying the same things as other people, but i think its a recipe for disaster if a mini was a GUIDE. I would be afraid of them bolting on a street or busy sidewalk, makes my stomack turn just thinking about what would happen
default_sad.png
I completly agree on minis being THERAPY animals. In fact, i want to do hippotherapy for people who were abused, are special needs or an addict, when i graduate college and use the minis instead of riding horses.
default_yes.gif

I voted NO.I am all for Minis as therapy animals-they are incredibly intuitive as to the special needs of special people.There is a gelding,Handful, I bred who now belongs to a friend.His name says it all.He has been a show horse and a roadster horse and been shown by children, but somehow the kids don't want to drive Handful in the roadster classes because he is so strong.But give him to a child to handle or have him approach someone in a wheelchair and he is so docile.1 older man led him around all day while drivng his moptorized wheelchair.IMO guide Minis could be a disaster.You can't change the basic nature of the beast.It's flight in times of extreme stress or fear.

I voted NO.

Not sure you can train a horse, how small ever he could be, to be secure enough in his reactions to guide blind persons. But even if you could, let us suggest it could be a possibility, what kind of way of life is this mini expecting?.. deal with cars, noise, the crowd, walks in the city, travel by car, walk step by step close to his human, live a part of his life in a absolute unnatural surroundings?

Why should a horse, even a small one, do a job a dog can do much more easily and better?

I had hoped this poll would give a strong indication of how most people familiar with minis feel on the matter, and i think that it has done so. I know sometimes reading through discussions, some posts stand out disproportionate to the actual consensus.

It seems to me that the people who think miniatures would make good GUIDE animals haven't had a lot of hands on experience with horses. You just cannot change the nature of an animal, and horses are creatures of flight.

Let's talk about the flip side for a minute? How many of you guys have experience with the blind? I DO! My mother was blind and that is an amazing challenge not just for her, but for me who took care of her for years. Would my mom like to have a horse in the house? Are you kidding me? Would my mom trust her life to a horse? Are you kidding me? Would I trust a horse to take care of her? HECK NO! So people who think its an adorable idea to have a guide horse for a blind person should not go spewing things about the blind when they haven't a clue.

I think people who are in favor of this idea don't know much about horses and the blind at all or they wouldn't think that way.

I have an aunt and uncle who are BOTH blind and they don't think much of this idea either. They have never used guide dogs but their first question was "what would you do with a horse in a restaurant". They raised a daughter (my cousin) just fine and never cease to amaze me! They live in the city - not a good place for a mini - but get around fine on public transportation. My uncle used to be a computer programmer (after he lost his factory job and went back to school) and my aunt worked in a darkroom loading X-ray film (she can see light).

I work with my minis in many situations. I have a 14 yr old that has ridden in the backseat of my truck, visited many a happy resident at a nursing home and tolerated many young people hanging, pulling and tapping on him time and again. Each is a situation where he knows I am there and he trusts me to take care of him--not the other way around. He is small enough to be a guide mini. Would I trust him with my life if I were blind or in a wheel chair. Absolutely not!! With all that he has been thru, he could be considered bomb proof as he will not run in fear or panic--but he is still a flight animal. I have even had to convince family because they think it is a neat idea--they just don't understand horses.

I work for an airline and as much as I would love to see a mini horse, it would be impossible to accomidate the animal. I've encountered a GREAT DANE as a service animal (not guide) and he was a safety hazard. A service animal needs to lay under the seat in front of you, per my airlines rules, I don't see a mini horse doing that and I didn't see a Great Dane doing that either.

I work for an airline and as much as I would love to see a mini horse, it would be impossible to accomidate the animal. I've encountered a GREAT DANE as a service animal (not guide) and he was a safety hazard. A service animal needs to lay under the seat in front of you, per my airlines rules, I don't see a mini horse doing that and I didn't see a Great Dane doing that either.
I worry about this aspect as well. A few years back, a pig (don't remember if it was a pot bellied or a smaller one) was allowed on a flight as a service animal and it panicked in mid flight and caused all kinds of turmoil.

Another aspect of using miniature horses as service animals is are there going to be guidelines as to size. Are size B minis going to be allowed into restaurants, etc. or is there going to be a certain size limitation as to what can constitute a miniature horse service animal.

I have a question to ask someone who is familiar with the ADA guidelines. If an animal (miniature horse) is considered acceptable as a service animal then is it allowed to be used for every disability? I don't think miniature horses would make good guides either but if they are allowed in other aspects then can you stop them from being used as guide animals?

Also, my understanding is once an animal qualifies as a service animal, it can't be denied access anywhere.

I work at a major theme park which strives to be as accommodating as possible. Service animals are allowed on trams and many attractions... Now how would a horse do that?

Back