Miniature Horse with Diarrhea?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MiniLover2006

Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

Patrick, my stud colt that I have had for about 5 weeks now has diarrhea. I don't know why. I think he may of had it for the past few days. Is there anything I can give him?

He has fresh water, a mineral block. He gets TNA and coastal with his feed.

:eek:
default_sad.png

Have you called your vet yet? If it has been going on this long, you should definitely call your vet. It could be a variety of things - diet, ingestion of sand...the list goes on and on. Also, if it's been going on this long, his electrolytes can become imbalanced, he can become dehyrdated, etc. It could be something simple, and it could also be an indication of something more serious - I'm the one who ended up with a horse who's simple diarrhea turned out to be intestinal lymphoma. I'm sure you'll feel a lot better if you're vet takes a quick look at your horse -

Liz R.

He was last wormed about 4 weeks ago. He acts perfectly normal. He drinks water, neighs for his food, follows me around. He is very happy. The only change in his diet is that about a week ago we started to feed TNA(timothy and alfalfa). Should I decrease on his TNA and add more coastal instead?

If he has never had alfalfa then it could cause diarrhea. When one of my "big" horses (a weanling) had diarhea, I called my vet and he said it could be worms, sand or a change in diet. I would try and cut back on the T&A and see if that helps. Also my vet suggested probios to help his belly and definately electrolytes to keep him hydrated.

Hope this helps your little guy..........

Just curious as to what kind of feed you have him on . If the diarrhea is very runny I would get the vet out quick, I had a colt with diarrhea, the vet was out the second day for IV fluids. His was so runny though that it was a brown watery liquid that just ran out like he was urinating. We did end up having to put him down :no: (Long story). In any case I would never take diarrhea lightly again.

He didn't get his TNA tonight he got just plain coastal. I have heard of probios for cows but not for horses. What does the package look like? I am going out tomorrow for electrolytes. He eats endurance 12 sweet feed. The people we got him from also fed that. I don't think it is the feed.....it isn't terriably runny but looks like cow poop...

My vet had me start my colts with Kaeopectate and plain vanilla yogurt. They love the yogurt and it helps with the gut. I would definitely let the vet know what is going on with your colt . Even if it doesn't seem to be a serious problem.

How much Kaeopectate and plain vanilla yogurt? How do you feed the Kaeopectate? And for how long? We are calling the Vet first thing in the morning and see what he would suggest.

Thank you everyone!
default_smile.png

I will keep you updated with what the vet says and how he is doing.
default_smile.png

Probios comes in a paste or powder. You can go to probios.com to find out what it looks like. Yogurt is also very good for their gut.

Keep us posted....................

My instructions were to syringe him 30 cc of Kaopectate 4 to 5 times a day and 4 oz carton of yogurt( half in the morning and half at night). But definitely check with your vet first.

I have had good luck with Probios and activated charcoal that I got at the health food store.

my colt got icky diarrhea when he was almost 4 mos. he didn't like cocconut maccaroons, he was too young for sand clear, we just didn't know what to do! it went on for about a week, really nasty (we're talkin waterfall...i mean walking him down the street was like....UGGHHHH). we new it could not be because his dam was in heat because she is in foal. sooooooooo.... we eventually found the culprit: SALT BLOCK!!! i didn't even know he had one. but it turned out that when he would go to try and eat it, his dam saw him struggling to break it, so she'd stomp on it and let him eat the little pieces!!!!! CRAZY MARE!!!! so we took out the salt block and the next day he was back to normal. we haven't had a problem with his poop ever since.

that was just my experience...sounds like you have been given great advise. when my mare got it (no salt block around) i came on here, followed about the same instructions you have been given, and she was better in a few days. gotta love this forum!!
default_wub.png
:

Hi Everyone, [SIZE=24pt]UPDATE[/SIZE]

I just would like to say Thank you for your help. We called the Vet this morning and my mom told him whats going on and he said that its not the hay, it could be sand or worms. The Vet told us to get Zimectrin Gold and worm him and to give him some Metamucil to help with the diarrhea and sand. We are suppose to give him 1/2 of a cup for each feeding for one week out of every month. The Metamucil is a orange flavor too, it smells good.
default_wink.png
:

So I am hopeing he gets better and his diarrhea goes away.

:bgrin Yes, I love this forum. Everyone is so helpfull.
default_wub.png
:

Latest posts

Back