Miniature Horse Stalls

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jag and Inti's Mom

Reaction score
sad.gif
wacko.gif
Hey all you barn owners out there, we have just purchased our first farm, a small one, 3 acres, but it has a huge barn, 60 x 60 we are very, very excited. . . but we have to put stalls in! To all of you who have done this already, please let me know what you did that you are happy you did, and what you wish you had done differently. I have been looking and planning for the past year and my head is just spinning. So I am going to the experts, those of you who have barns already. Thanks for any and all help. If you have purchased stalls from manufacturers, who have you liked, not liked and why. etc. you catch my drift. Hope to hear from you all soon.

Jag, Inti, Noah and Buttermilk's Mom. I think I have to change my sign in soon, I have added a few since I first registered. These guys are like potato chips, you can't have just one!!!!!!!!

My barn is a work in progress. You are welcome to visit it and take a look:

go to my website and click on Diary of a Barn.

I love movable walls. I can make a stall bigger or smaller depending on my needs. Lights above each stall, a GFI plug at each stall, doors opening out in the same direction. I have concrete flooring and bed heavily with sawdust. Remember...you can't have too many stalls!
biggrin.gif

Hi Nancy,

The best advice I could give, is, make sure they can either see out of or over at least one of the walls, or the stall door.

They are so less stressed if they can see a friend, or see what it is you are doing.

Good luck, and so happy you found the right place for you and all your little guys!

Carolyn

Nancy Girl,

CONGRATULATIONS
new_shocked.gif
new_shocked.gif
new_shocked.gif
I am so excited for you!!! I can't wait to see your new farm, it sounds BEAUTIFUL!!!
aktion033.gif
aktion033.gif
I know your four babies will love it there. Lets do a barn warming party
laugh.gif

Give Jag, Inti, Noah and Buttermilk and big hug from Auntie Lis
biggrin.gif

Lis

p.s can't wait to go trail driving
wink.gif

What an exciting time for you! I used to look at property and acreages..........now I just lust after a great barn! LOL! Fully addicted to minis, and the passion only gets deeper with each year.

When we build our small barn we put in two big horse stalls for foaling and modified them so that the horses can see out and see each other. They are similar to this Woodstar Horse Stalls , except we only needed two sides, the barn walls made up the other two sides. Also check out the miniature stalls here Miniature Stalls. My husband, the builder, used this plan for our other stalls using hardwood, and they really work great.

Congrats on getting such a nice big one! We had a 60 x 60 barn at our previous place. The dimensions made it easy to design out everything in 12 x 12 sized stalls, a 12 x 12 feed room, and a 12 x 24 sized tack and storage area! It also made for nice wide alleys so a pickup could drive through. Everything was in divisions of 12.

MA

wink.gif
wink.gif
Ok, so there were 220 hits on this question but only 7 replys, does that mean that the rest of you are all extremely happy with your stalls and would make no changes? Great. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I am really thankful for the ones I got. I did look at both Marty's and Lil Steppers web sites and they were quite helpful. How about a bit more feedback????

I'm sorry! Just got busy. I'll try to help a bit.

This is not what we had planned out. The original stall walls were going to be 10' oak planks for strength and durability. But then came Hurricane Katrina and building supplies nearly doubled over night , then got extinct so we were at a loss as what to do as we were already over budget.

This is OSB board that is set inside a 2 X 4 with a groove along the bottom and top. Then, they are slid in U channels that are made from 2 X 2 's

along the top of the 2 x 4 is the lattice which again is sitting inside of a groove and won't move around. That is for air circulation and also so that the horses can see eachother easily and socilize. In Florida we used the lattice only at that time it was not made of vinal, just wood, and we used it on top of plank board stalls 4 foot up to the top for the same reasons.

Now, all these walls come completely apart easily by just sliding them up the U channel for easy replacement in case someone wrecks a board or something. Everything is removable. If I want a larger stall I can simply just take a complete wall apart in 5 minutes. It's easily done with a saw, just use a datto blade.

By the way, this is not a pole barn and that is why we could not use any ruff sawn wood. It all had to be manufactured wood because this barn is perfectly in square (it is 1/8th inch off actually) and ruff sawn wood would have thrown it out of whack.

If I can help further, just hollar.

stallback.jpg

stallsfront.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! You can't imagine how much that helps me out. We just got a quote of $4,600 for 5 stalls from Wood Star. That is way out of our budget. We want them to look nice, but that unfortunately is a bit higher than we thought it would be.

Thanks again. When we get ours built, I will let you know, maybe I can figure out how to send a photo or two.

Nancy

Congrats.....and this question/topic couldn't have come at a better time....we are planning on building a barn on our property...yippee..... and we are going back & forth on what to do about stalls, etc, etc..... so far the ones posted all look awesome. I had studied the Woodstar sight and their stalls looked great, but they did seem a little spendy, but with all products, everything seems to be going sky-high.... thanks for sharing!!
biggrin.gif

aktion033.gif
NANCY...that is AWESOME NEWS!!!! BIG...na...HUGE congratulations!!!! I remember the day you asked to come see our minis...wanted to know more about them....that was the day Jag picked out his new Mom!!! For those who dont know the story...we had just bought Jag and I was starting to work with him in harness...hadnt planned to sell him....but when Nancy came in our barn and was looking at horses...he kept standing up on his insulated water bucket holder...looking over the stall walls....watching her....which he had NEVER done. He was blanketed and when I opened his stall door to show him to her for fun...he stayed standing on his bucket holder...let me take his blanket off...finally stepped down. I said OK...whats up...were you wanting Nancy to see you or what? LOL....after we walked on down the aisle...he did it again....like he was saying HEY...Nancy...
risa_suelos.gif

Its been fun watching you go from "looking" to winning blue ribbons with your boy! Cant wait to see Buttermilk and Inti driving too.

You know my stalls well. I would like different stall fronts on mine so they could see out better...they are 2" wide boards with 1" spacing. I would like more air flowing in through the fronts as well. We have 3/4" plywood walls between the stalls about 5' tall...cause I get alot of stallions/mares coming in and out for training and like to be able to keep them from coming over tops of the stalls looking or "playing" with each other. I LOVE Getitias stalls...oh my gosh...they are incredible....know you've seen them too...great quality that is durable and safe.

Good Luck and enjoy...even if it is $$!!!

Hi there -- there have been lots of threads on this subject -- both Stalls and Barn subjects

Here is a link to a recent thread:

http://minihorse.ipbhost.com/index.php?act=ST&f=1&t=41859

If you go to the main page for this particular forum -- and scroll down to the bottom -- you see a space where you can do a keyword search --

key in STALLS or BARN and see what you find -- lots of threads with pictures - recommendations etc..

I just saw your thread -- not online all that much lately.

I replied to Marty's thread with a description of what we are doing in our 40x48 barn with photos of the gates we have bought to use as dividers and fronts.

To give you the quick summary -- we have a totally "open inside" barn - no post - we have trusses supporting the roof -- our barn is 40 wide by 48 long with center double doors and one side people door.

We are building 13 stalls in the barn and have a hay/feed/grooming area as well. Basically our stalls are 70" wide and 8' deep - they have removeable 8' dividers to be able to reconfigure the stalls as 140" x 8' for foaling etc.. the 13th stall is 8x8 to hold 2 pet dwarves at one time. We have stall mats in all the stalls. We have a 24' aisle where we turnout in the bad weather (24'x24' area "fenced off") - especially while cleaning stalls. Our Feed/tack/grooming/hay area is SMALL in my mind-- originally did not intend to store hay there - but the hay storage "barn" has been postponed -- this area is basically 16x 14 with the people door coming into it.

We are using Preifert Wire Fille D gates (see the other thread for a link and pictures) as our dividers and fronts -- the 8' dividers are anchored into the plywood and 4x6 in the walls with 2 hinge pins and into a 4x6 post in the front with two hinge pins. The front gates (5'7" wide) are also hung on the same 4x6 post.

For the dwarf stall we have one solid side wall -- made from pre-fab privacy fence bought at Lowes -- this is 8' long and 6'tall - they get the smooth side facing the stall -- bought this to keep them out of the feed and hay area -- and remove temptation from our favorite little brats!
biggrin.gif

We use Woody Pet for our bedding.

Don't have it finished yet -- will someday post photos of the entire barn when I have it all built. Will be installing the 4x6 front posts this weekend --- then to connect all the gates to those posts -- and water the self-binding gravel -- tamp it down -- let it dry (will take quite a while to dry and harden in this weather
sad.gif
)

then we will put down the mats and connect all the gates -- and put up the solid divider that separates the last stall -- also do wiring and run the water to the barn

Did I mention we have 5 stalls on left side and 8 on right side?

Anyway -- so much for a short summary LOLOL
biggrin.gif
laugh.gif

Can't wait for it to be done -- getting an electric meter installed at the barn (in case we do change from hobby to business -- when the market picks up again) and will be having an electrician install lights, fans, receptacles etc.. and will run water to the barn to a single hydrant in the feed/grooming area.

We DO have fire alarms installed -- and have 2 fire extinguishers in the barn - easily seen and easily accessed -- We will have cameras to the foaling area and use BREEDER Alert as well.

We put "gravel sand" out around the front of the barn and to the side with the people door -- to keep me out of the mud -- kinda like a side walk and a driveway from the yard to the barn.

ENOUGH -- good luck with your barn --- please share pictures and details of whatever you implement!!!
yes.gif

JJay

Latest posts

Back