Miniature halters- brands and how to clean?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

walkermini

Reaction score
I got a bunch of Mini halters on craigslist, and wondering if anyone recognizes what brands they may be? There arent any maker's marks on them anywhere. Also does anyone have tips on cleaning the leather, biothane, and metal rings? The ones with leather over the head part have some icky green stuff near the metal, and the metal rings are not as shiny as they could be.

Picture 1-Both these halters are very similar to each other, they are cable with gold and copper metal decorations. One has a flat noseband and one has a round noseband. These seem to be biothane.

Picture 2-These three are also similar, they have silver decorations and are rounded cable like also, but these have leather behind the ear parts. Two have totally silver nosebands, and one has a black noseband with silver decorations.

Picture 3-Two of these on the right are similar, they are leather with embroidered nosebands. One is a blue heart design, and one is a silver design. Then the one on the left is a cable with biothane headband, with blue and gold bead accents.

web halters 1.jpg

Web halters 2.jpg

Web halters 3.jpg

The two in the first picture may be BKM halters--the one with the wide noseband could be a Showtime, but my guess would be BKM. Is the noseband really soft & flexible or is it fairly stiff? My Showtime halters have very firm nosebands--I think they have metal in them--and my BKM halter is very soft & flexible.

The two wide halters in the 3rd picture--I've seen those (well, ones like them!) somewhere but cannot remember what website they were on. The others, I have no idea. There are a couple (or more) suppliers that sell those kind of economy cable halters so they could come from any one of those.

As for cleaning--for the biothane you can just use a wet cloth to wipe them off, and then dry them. Leather--use any leather cleaner or saddle soap and then conditioner. It's normal for the brass rivets/screws to turn green where they come into contact with leather. I just scrub off the green with a wet cloth.

Metal rings--generally I use a damp cloth to clean them & then a soft dry cloth to polish. If they were gold or silver plated rings then I clean them as I would any gold/silver plated trim--with a soft gum eraser. That will erase tarnish very nicely--then buff with a soft cloth, and the silver/gold is all prettied up.

Wadding will clean the metal nicely. It comes in a metal can and is in the cleaning department of any grocery/hardware store. It's dry and really takes the tarnish off.

Wow you got some nice ones. I have been regularly searching CL and haven't seen anything I want to buy so if you see a deal like that tell me.

Latest posts

Back