Mini Prices Yicks

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mshasta88

Reaction score
Who else is frightened by the current horse prices? I’m scared to the point that I’m considering selling my herd because I would be to tempted to breed if I kept them. Has anyone seen this happen before in the past? Does anyone feel confident that prices will go back up?

We have been raising Miniature horses for well over 30 years. We have seen prices go up and down and up and down over the years. Yes, the market isn't all that good right now, (but it's not just Minis) good horses are still selling for decent money.

Am I scared and getting out? No. Am I breeding every mare I have? NO...

In fact, I have bought a few horses in recent months myself and gotten decent deals.... Will I buy more? You bet I will. But I also need to sell a few to keep my own numbers in check.

I am in the Miniature Horse business for the long haul, and I have many friends that feel the same way

I hate the prices but Im also done with breeding for awhile. This foal crop is my last. I even may keep my colt but sell my filly. I have 2 breeding stallions, not going to geld, but not using them either. Cant get rid of their man hood and to greedy to geld. I do have a handful for sale, but not giving them away and if they dont sell ever... no big deal. I may even breed a mare to a outside stud, but I plan on keeping that resaulting foal... we'll see.

Will the prices ever be the same, no, not for a real LONG time. Quality miniatures will sell, perhaps not at the price they used to bring but will still bring in something. I stopped breeding and enjoy showing so much more.

I agree with what has been said. The prices won't be where they were 10 years ago, but nice horses will sell for decent money. I didn't throw in the towel because of the market, I think it was many reasons, family deaths, wanting more time with the family, didn't want to burden others when we went away, tired of putting blood sweat and tears into it all, and not knowing where they may end up down the road, even if I sold foals to great homes, it wasn't gauranteed they would be there until their dying days, of all the reasons, the market was not one of them.

With that said, I figured it would take me over a year to place my broodmares and the stallion I had for sale. Sold all but one within 6-7 months, sold the very last one in February, still 2 months shy of a year. All for good prices, not what they would have gone for five years ago, but deffinately good prices none the less. I had a lot of people that offered much less, honestly, I stood my ground, and in the end, i was content. People will low ball sellers, it is the nature of the beast. If sellers are not happy with an offer, they need to stand their ground.

Prices are good for quality, but, really, how many of us are in this HOBBY primarily to turn a monetary profit?

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree with Cindy.

From where I stand, the market actually seems to be improving. Horses are selling and people are buying.
default_smile.png

I agree, if folks got into Minis just for the money, they should not have them. If the market is poor- break a couple to drive and enjoy them in different ways- parades, benefits, visit assisted living homes, take in a few shows, CDE- there is SO much out there to enjoy without just sitting at home with them and breeding them for babies to sell.

Although the horse market for ALL breeds is poor and the cost to feed is high, quality still sells. Those complaining about not getting buyers or not getting enough money need to take a hard look at their horses and figure out what they're lacking that others are not and being successful. No one said you can breed "nice" foals and have buyers with fistfuls of cash lined up anyway!

Well I'm kicking myself in the rear end right now, I just recently had two previous buyers call wanting more and I couldn't provide! One had purchased a black and white colt for halter and driving, and one purchased a sorrel colt with white socks for their four horse team. OH Yes I breed for halter, but seems I have an eye for driving types, and that is what my clients desire. Seems like the driving types are in demand right now! Yes I bought two new colts at auction because no one else was bidding and they are awesome. Took one to his first show this past Sunday and the judge said he wanted to take him home, sorry, when he drops he will be gelded for my grand children to show. Some people don't know good conformation even when it slaps them in the face, sorry, but I really didn't need any more horses, especially colts, but, dang it really is a buyers market as I stole those colts.

Prices are definitly down. Im breeding to show though not for money. You would die if you knew what I got my new stallion for.

I have been into minis for almost 10 years now and I agree that I wasn't into them for the money; However, I did have to sell a few every year to pay for hay and so on. I guess I just need to wait this out and manage my herd like always.

To add to this, I had a guy intrested in a stallion not to long ago that wanted to breed him to unregistered mares. I may have been rude but told him to look elsewere because I was not going to help contripute to the flud in the market.

I don't see the market being that bad for people in Ohio. Mini's that go in Amish auctions with no papers knobby knees and horribly ugly heads are going $500+. If you want a certain price for your mini then stick with that price. Someone will come along to buy. The horse market is starting to get better up here. I just sold my 15 year old paint who didn't have a discipline in anything for good money.

That is good to here. It seems like we are going to have to all get used to these prices for right now. I don't mind holding onto mine until things get better, I just get nerves breeding when things arn't really selling.

Yep, hang in there Myles. I have too much fun with the Minis to ever bail out on them- and my horses do still sell. I have already had people inquire about what I will have next year. I usually have two to four foals a year- just had one this year- and had someone ask to buy her but I want to keep her. Yes it seems that performance or driving horses are still doing well.

I never got into horses for money, and in minis Ive only bought geldings, or colts to geld. I am a bit disgusted with this economy though. I have a two year old son who is disabled, and is getting to the point of having more and more appointments (currently 4 days a week, and now will be getting an additional 25 hours a week) because of this, Im not able to show this year, and honestly dont know where things will be next year. I made the very, very hard decision to offer my two most accomplished horses. An all around gelding who is a multiple time national champion, reserve national champion (multiple years, not a "one hit wonder"), halter horse of the year, HOF in halter and CPD. Dead safe youth horse, utd on everything, and just a reliable fool proof horse. I listed him at $2,800, reduced him to $2500, and still have people offering me $800. Yea, no thanks, he can stand in the field on vacation for that. Same with my world/national top 5 horse that I just had gelded, I dropped him from $1800 to $1500 and still have people offering me under $1000. Im not desperate to sell, I just didnt want my horses standing.

I wouldnt say that these horses arent quality and thats why they dont sell for decent money, they have both placed at nationals and or received a HOF in the past 5 years, as recently as last show season.

I would definitely keep minis over the big guys. Much more cost effective to go take riding lessons when you miss riding. I have a large pony that I need to sell, she's beautiful and she's a good girl but after I had my surgery I just have no desire to train her to ride. The prices are really the reality of it all. Very few horses are actually selling.

Back