mini or small Shetland?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

horsesdances

Reaction score
wondering...

is there a big difference between a 38" Shetland and a mini besides the taler size? temper?

Someone also told me that the minis that more refined are more fragile health wise than the ones that are more stout or poney like

true?

thanks

Nope. In some cases, they are one and the same! I've worked with all types of minis and Shetlands and found no vast differences in temperament or health.

Some Shetlands are calm, others have a more lively temperament, just the same as Minis....I have some calm Minis, and I have some that are quite hot....I like the hot ones. Actually I would not say that Minis are cold blooded--draft horses are cold, Minis not so much. And yes, the ponies are very sweet

When you consider how much Shetland breeding there is in the Minis, one might expect them to be very similar in many cases.

thanks!

I usually like hot! but for this little guy I am lookimg for a calm cool sweetpie!

I tought it was as is from my reading, but nothing like real experience and people here are very generous!

thanks!

From my experiences with the shetlands they can be fiesty, but with the right training they can make awesome ponys. But like the others have said there are some bloodlines of minis that are more hot blooded and those are closer to the shetland lines.

Are you talking about American Shetlands or pure bred Shetlands? I have both minis and pure bred Shetlands (as in they come from the isle of Shetland) and they are much hardier and easier to keep but there is no comparison in elegance. When they all fire up and gallop around the field the minis stick out a mile for their flowing movement.

saludando.gif

good question, I have to do more research and get back to you! I am new to yhe small horse world... I know the big guys more

I have animals that are strictly miniature, strictly shetland and some that are both - I don't know that there are any big differences. All of our animals are pretty easy to deal with and I haven't had any experiences with big medical problems in one versus the other. JMS did mention training - any animal is better behaved, or at least understands their "job" better, with proper training. A lot of people could possibly recommend someone who has experience training horses to the level or discipline that you are looking for.....that person could maybe help you find the perfect horse.

thanks! I can. grain myself no problem. I am just pretty specefic about what I want if I get a fourth horse. But thanks, this is great advice! some are easy to train and others are difficult (and make you learn more, turn you into a better horse person) This time I want an easy one. Had plenty of the difficult type and I am getting older lol!

All horses are individuals, regardless of size or breed.

very true

I agree with you

but some breeds have tendencies - hot arabians and TB - not the best choice if you are looking for an easy patient laid back not reactive beginner horse, usually even if there are exceptions for example. Since I know the spirts breeds (show jumping) mostly and not the tiny guys I and doing some research and learning. Then of course it wil come down to the individual and if we bond or not.

All horses are individuals, regardless of size or breed.

You said the word that resonates with me -- bond. If you bond with a horse, it seems it doesn't matter as much if he/she has a few quirks. I trained my 34" mare from 4 mo. to now. She has HOF (Hall of Fame) in obstacle halter, and is close in jumping. She drives and wears ridiculous costumes. She'll carry a kid or walk beside one. She was slow and sweet and let my grandson (on his first driving) show her in western. But she ran away with my 40+ yr old daugther at Nationals. So she can be a pill if she wants.

My Shetland I had trouble bonding with. He is a small Modern so he measures in as a mini also. But he has a BIG trot and when he's in harness it's best to move out of his way. This winter we finally bonded. He is a real sweetheart. I'm uncertain of his early training but he seems to understand things very quickly and he's the only one in the field that will immediately come to me. He also responds to all the "training video" body language. If he's excited when I'm leading him to pasture all I have to say is "WALK" and he calms down right away.

My minis look at me and go "if you think you can make me do something by looking at me, think again. 'Cause you'll have to catch me first." So it really does come down to the horse not just whether they're mini or Shetland.

Sandee
new_rofl.gif
I have just woken up and was reading quickly before the kids wake up. THANK YOU for starting my day with a chuckle
new_rofl.gif
I can imagine them all together " here she goes with her body language, come on girls runnnnnnnnnnnnnnn"

Latest posts

Back