Mini or Dwarf???

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Other than the bite (which could be the way you're holding her head or a need for dental work), I don't see a dwarf. She is small, and may very well be a dwarf or minimal but without her being shed out. Perhaps once she's shed out you could see her conformation better.

Most smaller minis all look dwarfy in the winter as 3-4" of belly hair makes their legs look stubby. We had a dwarf foal here one year, Chaz, that looked like a dacshund especially in the winter with the short legs, and hair almost to the ground. He was an and

It's like a short person doesn't carry weight the same as a tall one. 20 lbs on a 6' person is different than 20 lbs on a 5' person.

Ok.....after viewing the addition photos you put up....I still don't think she looks Dwarfy. Her legs look pretty much in porportion to her body, IMO. BUT.....please get an equine dentist out to file down her front teeth. When there is an off bite (even a slight one) the teeth will continue to grow, as they don't meet & "wear" on the opposite ones. Her bite may improve dramatically if her teeth are ground down to the proper level where they won't interfere with the upper ones. Right now the lower ones have grown so high, they are preventing the uppers from moving forward as she grows. I saw this happen on a young horse once, and once the teeth were properly filed down, I was amazed at how quickly the upper jaw moved forward!
default_yes.gif
:

I have to agree with Lyn here I do see characteristics.. now some may see one or 2 and call them faults or some feel you need 5 or 6 to be a dwarf I am not sure what the magic number is but IMO I do see some things that would surely make me question and consider her to have characteristics JMO though

Brandi,

I am so glad that you have your precious little TicTac home! I can tell you will love her unconditionally whether or not she is a dwarf.

She looks so sweet and I can bet she will get lots of love and attention.

Good luck with your special little girl and please keep us updated.

In my opinion, this little mare *might*be a minimally expressed achrondoplastic dwarf; I think it is really not possible to know for sure, one way or the other-certainly, not without seeing her in the flesh. She does have conformational issues, most notably what appears to be more than a minimal underbite--I certainly agree with Dona-get competent dental work done ASAP! On the other hand, I don't see too much evidence of some of the other hallmarks of that type of dwarf--I don't see an improper nostril placement;additionally, at least as is evident in the photos, I don't see strong evidence of the overly short UPPER LIMB(forearm and stifle-to-hock)phenomenon that occurs in achrondoplastic dwarves(note the photo of Whitewave's black and white-such horses often appear pretty normal at birth, and often have 'normal' length of neck, etc.-but become noticably more disproportionate(long body, overall shortness of legs, due to the upper limbs NOT growing-as they age)-yet they often have good bite alignment and proportionate neck length, and don't develop oversized guts, etc.) She has other conformational flaws-but those could be simply that,and not manifestations of dwarfism. She is not a horse I would recommend ever breeding-but she IS a cute little gal, and I'm sure, will be a wonderful pet and companion!!

A question, please-what do you all who use the term "hocky", mean, exactly?

Is this what you would call "Hocky"?
Picture009.jpg
This was Music man in Aug 05 he now has been trimed correctly and hardly touches in back.....Music today
Picture031.jpg

I didn't read all three pages of what everyone else said but she doesn't look like a dwarf to me just because her belly is hanging low.

I think she looks bred if anything.......

No, I don't think she looks like a dwarf BUT I would wait and see!

My little 29"mare with her full winter coat and being 10 months pregnant looks all out of proportion but she is not!

Those winter woolies on the tiny marea can make them look funny/cute, wait until she sheds out!

She is very cute!

Picture009.jpg
This was Music man in Aug 05 he now has been trimed correctly and hardly touches in back.....Music today
Picture031.jpg

Yes...."Hocky" is the term I use to refer to horse's whose hocks touch.
default_yes.gif
: It is very predominant in Achondroplastic Dwarfs, as their upper limbs (above the hocks) are extremely short, while the fibulas (lower legs) are normal length, causing them to be hocky & splayed in the rear.

Picture009.jpg
Picture031.jpg

Yes...."Hocky" is the term I use to refer to horse's whose hocks touch.
default_yes.gif
: It is very predominant in Achondroplastic Dwarfs, as their upper limbs (above the hocks) are extremely short, while the fibulas (lower legs) are normal length, causing them to be hocky & splayed in the rear.
Thanks! I wasn't sure what "hocky" meant either.
default_smile.png
So she is not hocky, but she did wear braces on her back legs shortly after birth to straighten them. I don't know what the term is, but her toes were pointing upward. They seem to be fine now.
default_smile.png
I know she's not breeding or show quality. She is LOVE quality :bgrin and that's just fine with me
default_smile.png

Dona is right about the dental care here- when a horse develops hooks in back or a ridge in front, the bite cannot move 'back on' if it wanted to, because the hooks and ridges prevent it from doing so.

I had a small stallion that at a year was going to sell because he looked like a short legged draft horse. Once he was clipped of about 4" of hair, he was leggy and refined underneath!! It's really hard to eyeball in winter hair and get a true look.

How old is your new little girl??? I'm asking because she looks very "butt high" -- like she has some growing to do?

She may have some dwarf characteristics, but I personally wouldn't call her a true dwarf from those pictures.

MA

How old is your new little girl??? I'm asking because she looks very "butt high" -- like she has some growing to do?

She may have some dwarf characteristics, but I personally wouldn't call her a true dwarf from those pictures.

MA
Tic Tac is around ten months old. She'll be a year in April sometime. I agree, she does have a high butt. The vet is coming out next week to have a look at her and see what needs to be done for her teeth. Maybe her bite can improve a little with some work. She is such a little sweetie
default_smile.png

:new_shocked: 10 months!? Why she is still GROWING! Yearlings often are 'but high' AND some have crooked teeth!!! Most do grow out of it; This mare IS NOT a dwarf!! :new_shocked:

Last edited by a moderator:
A few comments on the bite; this is a severe underbite. At 10 months of age she has not had enough time to develop the hooks which can cause a good bite to go off. In addition, hooks form on the upper pre-molars and lower molars which may cause a slight OVERbite in a mature horse. It would not cause an underbite so I believe this filly's bite is real. Having said that she should have dental work done to keep her from developing further problems which would make it hard for her to eat.

Is this filly a dwarf? Hard to say for sure without clipping and it's probably irrelevant. She has a known dwarf characteristic in her bite and therefore should not be used for breeding or showing. That's makes her a pet so wo cares if she's a dwarf or not? Give her a great home, love her and enjoy her!

I do agree with Dream in regard to your little girl's future. Enjoy her and love her. However, with the bite she has she is not breeding material.....even if her bite is improved with growth and dental work, it looks to be bad enough that it would never be even close to a good one.

Also, with that bite, you will want to watch her dental needs as she matures because she will be apt to develop some problems with hooks perhaps more rapidly than other horses....(just my opinion.).

Because she is only 10 months old, she still has some growing to do, so it should be fun to see her this summer when she is either shed off or shaved off! I bet you are going to discover a whole new little horse under there! :bgrin

MA

Except for the teeth, she doesn't look like a Dwarf to me.

Ginny StP

A few comments on the bite; this is a severe underbite. At 10 months of age she has not had enough time to develop the hooks which can cause a good bite to go off. In addition, hooks form on the upper pre-molars and lower molars which may cause a slight OVERbite in a mature horse. It would not cause an underbite so I believe this filly's bite is real. Having said that she should have dental work done to keep her from developing further problems which would make it hard for her to eat.

Is this filly a dwarf? Hard to say for sure without clipping and it's probably irrelevant. She has a known dwarf characteristic in her bite and therefore should not be used for breeding or showing. That's makes her a pet so wo cares if she's a dwarf or not? Give her a great home, love her and enjoy her!

Guess I'm going to have to disagree with you here...and I speak from experience. I once had a colt who was born with a perfect bite, and it started going off (underbite) by the time he was a few months old. By the time he was a yearling it was off at least 3/4"....and by two, it was off a FULL inch! This was years ago, before I knew that much about the unique problems Miniatures have with their teeth (and before I had an equine dentist). This guy was over 3 years old before I met Carl Mitz & had him take a look. He pulled the BIGGEST molars outta this guy with HUGE hooks on them. He then filed down his front teeth which had grown very long. We were both amazed at how much his bite improved immediately after the offending hooks/teeth were pulled. It was within a 1/2 inch. And 6 months later his bite was perfect! I would never have believed a bite that bad could be corrected, simply by pulling molars with huge hooks on them, if I hadn't seen it for myself! :eek:

Yet another example of unique pathologies seen in Miniature mouths. I would have to say your colt is an exception.

Guess I'm going to have to disagree with you here...and I speak from experience. I once had a colt who was born with a perfect bite, and it started going off (underbite) by the time he was a few months old. By the time he was a yearling it was off at least 3/4"....and by two, it was off a FULL inch! This was years ago, before I knew that much about the unique problems Miniatures have with their teeth (and before I had an equine dentist). This guy was over 3 years old before I met Carl Mitz & had him take a look. He pulled the BIGGEST molars outta this guy with HUGE hooks on them. He then filed down his front teeth which had grown very long. We were both amazed at how much his bite improved immediately after the offending hooks/teeth were pulled. It was within a 1/2 inch. And 6 months later his bite was perfect! I would never have believed a bite that bad could be corrected, simply by pulling molars with huge hooks on them, if I hadn't seen it for myself! :eek:

** Oops I meant to highlight this part, it is quote from Dona. My comment below in answer to hers.

Absolutely! Carl knows exactly what to do and how to correct their teeth. These little guys simply have too many teeth or ones too large for their mouths a lot to times. In the case of your girl it would have been best to have her teeth done prior to her being 6 months old. Her bite would be right on now. I would not call this a sign of dwarfism but a sign of dental neglect. Dental work is something we really need to keep up with on these little guys, (as we do ourselves) it is as important as eating the proper feeds and exercising them. It is important to have a good equine dentist in addition to your regular vet to maintain the good health of your horses.

She does not appear dwarfy to me either by the way. Just a little horse with LOTS of winter hair. That winter hair is very deceiving...........Good luck with her, she looks like a doll baby!

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back