mini money

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

llamalfreak

Reaction score
Me and my friend might buy this one horse ,she cost 1,500 and we will split

it but we are 11 and 13 and it is hard for us to get the money (and asking my mommy and daddy does not count)what should we do<----how should we raise money?

(He already owns 2 minis)

Last edited by a moderator:
I am glad to see you and your friend are trying to raise the money without relying on your parents. However $1500 is a lot of money to raise. Also the purchase price is just the beginning. Horses are expensive to keep. Food, Board, Vet bills, farrier bills, supplies and equipment. The list goes on. If your parents are not horse folks I suggest you find someone local to mentor you BEFORE you buy that first horse. Perhaps someone may be willing to give you a partial lease on a horse. ( that is how I got my first pony when I was your age)

Oh... I can remember when I was your age, I wanted a horse so badly I thought I could die from wanting one and not having one!!!

$1,500 is a lot of money, but that's only the start of it because it costs a whole lot of money to take care of a mini, and especially a pregnant one.

It wouldn't be something two girls your ages could do without the help and okay from Mom and Dad.

How about you wait ten years until you can actually afford a horse?

$1,500 is NOTHING compared to the annual upkeep. ONE vet trip alone can easily cost you more than this if something goes wrong. Believe me, something can go wrong no matter how good you treat them.

Also, horses can live around 30 years. What are your plans for this horse and probable foal while you are in college? If you aren't planning to go to college, what exactly is your plan for providing a good home for horses? No, they can't live on love. Who will take the horse when you and your friend move out from under Mommy & Daddy’s roof? You will NOT always get along with your friend and the odds are that you won’t stay in touch as well as you think you will if you go on to have any kind of successful careers (you know, the kind of careers that pay enough to be able to afford horses).

If you already want to buy a brood mare in foal, then you'll probably be one of those people who also want to have kids at an early age. (This is based on my personal observances of human tendencies alone and is not yet backed up factually (wait for my Master’s Thesis). I actually know people who have gone the other way on this. I’ve just noticed that certain mentalities lend themselves to developing into further propagation of like.) Any idea how much it costs to take care of an 11 or 12 year old child?

I’m afraid that Mommy & Daddy are your only answer here. After all, they are the ones who are inevitably going to end up providing for this horse if you get it at this point.

Now, if you’re a smart kid and are willing to work hard: I’ll adopt you and you can “have” plenty of horses to clean up after.

Being only a tad older than yourself, I know how you feel. Dont do it. When something goes wrong and you have no money, uhh whats going to happen.Now I have two minis. Thats it. I have to work my butt of doing anything to make money. Are you ready to spend countless hours doing stuff?

My mom does help me lots paying for them, but for the most part Its my joa. 500 for the horse, 100 annual vet, farrier, 65 board. Its NOT EASY. Now yove been warned. Make a good decision.

Thanks, Alex.

You just pointed out the good side to owning a horse as a youth. If you care enough to always try to do the right things, you will learn a lot from the experience.

I was 15 when I got my first horse, my folks bought the horse and had the land to keep it BUT that was it. I had to work summers and weekends and with the help of my uncle BUILT THE BARN FROM SCRATCH it is still standing and used for my sisters horses to this day its 30 years old. My Uncle Bill and I were quite the TEAM.

Know going in, buying a horse is like buying a child that never grows up, and is your responsibility until it dies. Its shoveling poop ALOT, hauling HEAVY bales of hay and water, its feeding multiple times a day EVERY DAY even on VERY HOT or VERY COLD days.

My advice get a horse mentor.

I would also suggest a TRAINED unregistered gelding, those can be had for under 500.00.

Tell mom and dad that horse ownership at a young age will make you a responsible adult, it did that for both my sister and myself. I would not be the person I am without a horses teaching.

I got my first miniature when i was 14 years old, my father had big horses all his life so luckly we were already set up for horses here. The first few years, my parents helped out allot with the financial side of things. There is no way a 11 and 12 year old can handle the vet bills, feed bills, farrier bills and all the other big $$$ bills that can and will come along. If you do not have your parents financial support, its going to be very very hard for you.

You cannot just get the $1500 in hand and then go pick up the horse. What about fencing? What about a barn? How will you get it home (traile)? Buckets, Feed, Hay, Bedding, Blankets, ext ext ..you need all of these things before you bring her home.

You will learn ALLOT from owning a horse as a youth, allot. But i highly recomend that you get your parents support before getting into this.
default_smile.png

llamalfreak - I agree with those who are saying to look to your parents for help. I would also avoid getting into anything binding with your friend. If it turns out that you can't own a horse right now for whatever reason, consider lessons, working at a barn or leasing to get your fix.

strass - I don't believe I fit your mold. I had lots of animals, raising many as a kid (with the help of my parents) up until today and at 24 have absolutely no desire to have children.

Leeana - "A LOT." ;)

You guys r very helpful and i was a little iffy buying her anyway

Ahh yes i must say i agree w/ everyone that is a lot of stuff to think about and if we bought her i would be the other owner... and i do help to pay for my horses so i think we should think about this.

I got my first miniature when i was 14 years old, my father had big horses all his life so luckly we were already set up for horses here. The first few years, my parents helped out allot with the financial side of things. There is no way a 11 and 12 year old can handle the vet bills, feed bills, farrier bills and all the other big $$$ bills that can and will come along. If you do not have your parents financial support, its going to be very very hard for you.

You cannot just get the $1500 in hand and then go pick up the horse. What about fencing? What about a barn? How will you get it home (traile)? Buckets, Feed, Hay, Bedding, Blankets, ext ext ..you need all of these things before you bring her home.

You will learn ALLOT from owning a horse as a youth, allot. But i highly recomend that you get your parents support before getting into this.
default_smile.png

yes this is a lot and the horse may stay at my house if we buy her and we have a pasture barn etc. etc. and so far i havent really had to many situation finacily other that the barn
default_rolleyes.gif
:DOH! anyway... and also i would like to point out that ium 13 to all not 12 ya know just to be accurate and im plannings on getting a job to help lesson the burden on my parents from paying for the horses

i also already know the work it takes to care for horses of every size and of many different breebs arabs, morgans, poas, minis, quarterhorse, tb, anduluisan/tb/arab sporthosres etc. etc etc.

[SIZE=10pt]Hi[/SIZE]

I would wait, unless you have help from your parents.

I have wanted a horse, any horse, since I was five. I am now 18, soon to be 19. I got my first horse when I was 13. Now I have four horses, two of them basically rescues.

It is HARD to keep horses. I also LOVE them, and would not trade them for the world.

Thankfully, my parents HELP me. They have helped me since they got me my first horse. My dad built the fence and the barn(s). They both help with the vet bills etc. I don't have a job right now, as I am being mentored at Hoofbeat Acres/Buck On Ranch. When I do/did have a paying job, ALL my money went to my horses. And when I say all, I mean, ALL. Wormer, vet bills, feed, buckets, and equipment, etc...

I am forever grateful for my parents.
default_wub.png
default_wub.png

I am going to study to become a vet soon. Again, my parents are helping me by taking care of three of the horses. I am taking one, maybe two with me. I plan to have a part-time job to help pay the board fees.

But, once again, my parents will help me if I need it. I am lucky. Some aren't.

Good luck.

ium 13 to all not 12 ya know just to be accurate and im plannings on getting a job to help lesson the burden
Just an honest question, I am not trying to be mean, but you can get a minimum wage job at 13 where you live? You have to be 15-16 in the places I have lived...

No he can not get a "real" minimum wage job yet.

This is something I dont think you guys realize. Dan, do you know how much your parents do for you? I will be entirely hones and say no I didnt before I got horses. I got my mini when i was 11. I dont know how I got $500 but I got it and bought him. Didnt have to hire a trainer, I pay a REALLY cheap board and it is still a TON of money. I learned extremely quickly that youy gotta be responsible and work for your money.

There is no way a 11 and 12 year old can handle the vet bills, feed bills, farrier bills and all the other big $$$ bills that can and will come along. If you do not have your parents financial support, its going to be very very hard for you.

True but untrue. i did it. Well, am doing it. No my familys not rich, but If you want a horse that bad, ALL you have to do is set your mind to it. If you truely want it you'll get it.

Thanks, Alex.

You just pointed out the good side to owning a horse as a youth. If you care enough to always try to do the right things, you will learn a lot from the experience.

No thank you. I just dont want these kids to know what it feels like to totally rely on other people for money, or not having it.

Dan and whatever your friends name is, I think you'll make the right decision. You have 2 and that is totally enough.

I got my first pony when I was 3, my grandparents paid for her upkeep, then for my 13th birthday(1991) I was given by my grandparents my first arabian mare. We bred her when I was 15(1993) and I only had 2 arabians until 1997 when I used some of my college loan to buy another arabian mare. I had a foal in 1998, one in 1999 and my parents took care of them while I was gone to college. After college in September 1999 I started a full time job and took over my horses upkeep. I have not looked back. I am now 29 and own 24 horses(4 arabians, 1 half QH, 1 National Show Pony and 19 miniature horses). I pay for the upkeep and vet bills of all of them. Would I do it again if I could go back in time. Yes I would. My vet bills were quite costly. I probably spent about $35,000+ on vet, etc, if not more. Though one mini eats less than 24, and 2 eats a little more than one. If you have the means and know how well i would do it. You can babysit, do odd jobs, etc. Hard work and dedication is what will make this work. Good luck.

No he can not get a "real" minimum wage job yet.

This is something I dont think you guys realize. Dan, do you know how much your parents do for you? I will be entirely hones and say no I didnt before I got horses. I got my mini when i was 11. I dont know how I got $500 but I got it and bought him. Didnt have to hire a trainer, I pay a REALLY cheap board and it is still a TON of money. I learned extremely quickly that youy gotta be responsible and work for your money.

There is no way a 11 and 12 year old can handle the vet bills, feed bills, farrier bills and all the other big $$$ bills that can and will come along. If you do not have your parents financial support, its going to be very very hard for you.

True but untrue. i did it. Well, am doing it. No my familys not rich, but If you want a horse that bad, ALL you have to do is set your mind to it. If you truely want it you'll get it.

thats exactly what i did for my horses i saved fotr years and years on end to buy a horse wich i did

Thanks, Alex.

Thanks Alex and everyone, ya know i never really realized it before i got the minis at this point in time i think ill wate a few years to get a job and such considering i would need to board also so thank you everyone for you opinions andvice....also i dont think i have time for another horse just yet

No thank you. I just dont want these kids to know what it feels like to totally rely on other people for money, or not having it.

Dan and whatever your friends name is, I think you'll make the right decision. You have 2 and that is totally enough.

I get what your all saying i can't get the money all my self(and my buddie who is a guy arab lover 4 life)

but what are some good ways to make money

and no not particularly for a horse

( no i can't get a job)

so far i have......

-babysitting

-picking up poo dog or horse<-- heard it pays alot but not something i love to do every day of my summer

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

yes indeed it is lame

i need some help

I get what your all saying i can't get the money all my self(and my buddie who is a guy arab lover 4 life)

( no i can't get a job)

so far i have......

-babysitting

-picking up poo dog or horse<-- heard it pays alot but not something i love to do every day of my summer

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

yes indeed it is lame

i need some help

kk how about dis groom llamas at our shows, ckeanout stalls at the stalls and also save the money u get froom showing (youll probably win grand again
default_wink.png
)

( no i can't get a job)

so far i have......

-babysitting

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

yes indeed it is lame

i need some help

kk how about dis groom llamas at our shows, ckeanout stalls at the stalls and also save the money u get froom showing (youll probably win grand again
default_wink.png
)
at least i won $ 35 and not just $3

( no i can't get a job)

so far i have......

-babysitting

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

yes indeed it is lame

i need some help

default_wink.png
)
at least i won $ 35 and not just $3

hey that was my first time in intermediate with 2 sox
default_new_2gunsfiring_v1.gif

Go to a barn, any barn that has horses, and ask if they need help. Any help, cleaning, stalls, watering, tacking up.

No doubt It will pay decent but you may actually learn some.

Then you'll have money, and experience.

Good Luck!
default_biggrin.png

Latest posts

Back