mini mare gestation question

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tatonkas Dream

Reaction score
I was wondering what everyone considers normal ranges for a mini mare.

I realize they all differ slightly.

Last year - I forgot what book I read it in but it said anything prior to 320 is considered a premee and 343 was avg for a mini.

I am paying closer attention to everyones postings this year as I have 2 on the way. I plan on putting up the baby monitor cameras at 300 days but am curious as what your experiences have been.

Both girls are unknown history - one the only time I know she was bred slipped at apx day 150 and the other had a mini mule last year but was field bred and no idea on her # of days.

thanks

Christina

I would start checking them at 300 days, but if there is no bagging activity and their hind end is not lossening, you do not need to put the alarms on them. Many Minis go at least 320 to 340 days. Some even longer. If you start watching too soon, by the time she is ready to foal, you will be so tired, you might miss the whole thing.
default_no.gif

When I do the calculations of due dates, I use the regular equine charts. They say 340 days, and most often, my mares are right in there give or take a few days.

Last edited by a moderator:
I calculate all my mares duedates based on 330 days as "average" seems to be 320-330 days.. I bring our girls in the barn around day 300 (or sooner if they're starting to bag) that way they can get accustomed to the foaling stalls, build up their immune systems to the natural germs in the stalls (yes they're disinfected before and after foaling, but there are still natural germs etc) and for closer daily observation.. The earliest foal we've had was 318 days and the latest was 352 days

Mini mares can foal and have full term foals from shortly before 300 days gestation to after 350 days! I start checking for udder development around 280 days. I would say that my mares foal generally from around 320 - 335, but I've certainly had plenty foal way before that and some after. It just pays to watch!

I've had full term foals at 297 days and dysmature foals at 347 days.

My filly was born at 312 days last year. She was big, very strong -up in no time-, and had a nice winter coat. Furthest thing from a preemie
default_yes.gif

One of our mares foaled last year at 307 days; a nice healthy colt. This year she foaled at 302 days and the foal is premature - doing ok, but at the vets getting IV glucose periodically. Another of our mares has her foals at about 321 days everytime. Maiden mares may not bag up prior to having their first foal! And I've only had one mare actually wax prior to foaling. I bring the mares in to the barn at 9 1/2 months and start watching then. The foalalert is stitched in when the mare begins to bag, and I've got a barn cam on as well. It's pretty much a sleep deprivation time from then on. Good luck!

My mares mostly all foal from 302-315.

I've had a few foals born just fine from 292-298 days too.

I start checking my mares extra carefully from 280 on.
default_yes.gif

Better safe than sorry!

I have heard stories of people thinking all mini mares foal the same time frame as big mares only to lose foals in the sac and saying the foal came "early". When that shorter time is natural for some mares. Best to wear yourself out watching them from early on than chance missing the birth.

I learned the hard way many years ago.
default_sad.png

I base my calculations on 330 days, but start monitoring seriously from 300 days. Or earlier for the chestnut mare!

This is 302 days:

tinknewborn.jpg

This is 369 days:

lattenewborn1.jpg

I have heard stories of people thinking all mini mares foal the same time frame as big mares only to lose foals in the sac and saying the foal came "early". When that shorter time is natural for some mares. Best to wear yourself out watching them from early on than chance missing the birth.
AMEN. I keep reading about foals that came early - but they arrived at 302 days.... 310... 323. Not early for them. We have had fully cooked and bouncy foals arrive at 296 days. And silky, more dysmature ones arrive on day 330. Most the mini mares here have foaled between 310 - 320 days.

Rule number one for mares -

[SIZE=18pt]the most predictable thing about a mare is her unpredictability!! [/SIZE]

NEVER expect a mare to behave in the same way year after year. Most of them won't.

Most mares also have not read the book - they do not necessarily know that they must bag up or get loose back ends before they foal. Some show no such signs at all - they just lay down and do it - and the milk comes down nicely and all is well. Waiting for "signs" before you start watching might be a mistake... in my experience - with assorted breeds.

I agree every mare is different BUT I do believe in family lines.

I have a mare DeeDee that ALWAYS foals a month early. Her daughter Stormy ALWAYS foals a month early. And Stormys daughter Affie ALWAYS foals a month early and this year is trying to push that alittle. So I predict that Affies daughter Ice Cream will probably foal a month early.

I have mares that go right to the actual due date but have never had one go past.

I would have to say most of them are two weeks to a month early. And I have had them foal 6 weeks early that is scary. But both times the foals were good and didn't look early.

So I start watching them 3 months out. Hence Affies date due is April 25. So a month early is March 25 and she is already bagging. I give her a shot tonight to slow her down. Gotta keep that Billy Idiol baby where it belongs until it is time because she (LOL) may be a future Treasure bride
default_yes.gif

So kept close watch
default_smile.png

My small mares (27-30") tend to have shorter gestation than the tall ones (33"+). My little ones generally foal at 300-310 days here +/- and the taller 325-345 +/- . Has been so for many years.

Latest posts

Back