Mini horse training questions

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spindleberry

Reaction score
My colt that I got is 6 months old uncut. I have some questions well I'll end up having a bunch cuz i've never owned a mini horse.

When hes out in an open space he walks away from me all the time when I go to catch him. Usually the only way I can catch him is if I corned him in the corner and he cant go anywhere. When he's in the stall he'll walk away from me but with it being a small space he just turns his butt towards me and I place one hand on his rump and move my other hand slowly either reaching for his halter if he has it on or using my arm to hold on to his neck and then I slip the halter on him. He's really good about being patient with the halter going on. Its just catching him. What can I do so I can catch him all the time with out having to follow him around or having him turn his butt towards me.

Every now and then he nips at me or nips me. What should I be doing to put that at a stop? Usually I nudge him hard on his shoulder and tell him no in a firm voice. That works for us. When I first got him everytime he would do that, i'd nudge him and he got to the point where he quit, and he doesnt really do it all that often now I'm hoping that i've put that to a stop. Usually when he would nip is when I'm running my hand down his neck/shoulder/belly-flank/or chest-either side of the body.

How do I correct his kicking at me/kicking me? I'm not sure how to deal with a small horse doing that but that needs to come to a stop pretty quick.

Is it possible that the reason he does this is cuz he's uncut?

Surprisingly he raises all four feet with no hestitation or fighting. He holds them up for me and lets me run my hands down his legs.

He also stands for grooming to.

He ties ok. Usually he's calm and quiet but he freaked out today and I put my hand on his back and he stopped and he stood there the rest of the time. Anything I can do for that?

He's sorta jumpy still. Which he came from a sale barn then to my cousins house then to mine, so he's been moved about in his 6months of life. I try my best to atleast go out there everday and brush him over with my hand and then let him go but some times it can be hectic right now as I have a sick goat so my time is limited with everyone at the moment.

also what else should i be working on with him. I've never had a young horse let alone a mini so i'm at a loss at knowing what I should be doing/training.

Thanks In advanced.
smile.gif

I'd say go out to that barn and love that horse up some. I'm a firm beleiver in not sending a horse home to home to home. I've sold only 1 mini in my life and i passed up two buyers before hand.

All he needs is to be walked, petted and for you two to bond. Just leading a mini around in the pasture i consider training and bonding.

Coco use to nip ...but seemed to grow out of it. I would just pull the lead shank and say 'NO BITE NO'. It worked, hasnt nipped in a while. I've never had a problem with them turning there butt toward me though.

All my mini's and horses (other then my paint filly lexus) came from auction barns and there he best horses i think i could have possibly owned. Love can go a long way!

Since he so young, i'd work on the simple stuff (leading, tieing, voice commands, feet work, grooming ext). Get him to stop biting and turning his butt toward you ...all the 'simple stuff'.

Also i think he just needs to be desensitized on the nipping. Lexus is 6 months old right now and nips when i touch her chest, 'armpits' or front legs. I just hold the halter on the bottom under there chin (so they cant bite) and touch the area and leave my hand there ..they will make an attempt (normally a couple) to bite. I would just keep my hand there and rub the area..when the ear's were no longer pinned and she stopped trying to bite i would pet her and take off the pressure.

Leeana

You still have an opportunity yet where he isn't out of control. I had one that was so bad he would tear down a fence before I could halter him. He was sent to an more experienced trainer and that helped alot.

Do you go out there everytime just to work with him? I would sit out there and let him come to you, nothing forceful. Also I know its easier if you had another mini that your just scratching and playing with and he would be more interested in you but if you have a dog or a cat might be good too just pet in his pen. That way he doesn't see you as a threat. Just bond with him is a good starting point IMO.

Yep, bonding is good groundwork for everything you want to do wtih him.

Suggestion; take all the problems you've listed and break each one down to the simpliest steps for correction. Then take it slow and work on each problem. Don't try to work on everything at once.

We have other horses so it does make it easier for the newest to watch the others. Here's what I do for mine big or little. Never walk into the stall and let them turn their backside to you. Over a period of time my horses learn that if I open the door to the stall with the halter in my hand that they are going outside. They like outside. If they don't come to me or if they make a fuss about the halter, I shut the door and walk away for awhile letting everyone else out. Then it becomes a matter of "if you want out, you come get the halter on." They pick up on this pretty quick and mine will put their noses right into the halter while I stand in the doorway blocking the way to "out".

Try catching outside by using a treat (if they like treats) or a little hay. Then as they get used to you coming up to them you gradually stop using the treats. The treat then becomes the food in the barn or the extra attention or whatever.

Good luck.

Latest posts

Back