Mini foal with a roach back

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

miniblessingsfarm

Reaction score
Hi Everyone!
default_saludando.gif

I am wondering if anyone out there has ever had a miniature foal with a "roach" back. My little guy was born on our farm and is now about 4 months old. I noticed him developing a slight upward curvature to his spine a couple of months ago. Now I am noticing that his "roach" back is becoming more pronounced as he is getting older. He does not appear to have any other dwarf characteristics and neither of his parents have dwarf characteristics (nor has either parent produced a dwarf foal). I am wondering:

1. How does this happen?

2. Is it treatable?

3. Will he outgrow it?

4. Could he be in pain from this at some point in time? (He is not in pain at this time.)

5. Does this indicate that he is a minimal-expressive dwarf or perhaps a type 1 dwarf?

6. What would you do with this foal?

His gait seems normal and he is doing all of the silly things that foals do---running, jumping, rolling and playing with our other foals. He appetite is great and he appears normal except for the "roach" back.

Thank you for your help!
default_yes.gif

Debbi

Mini Blessings Farm

Webster, NH

He does not appear to have any other dwarf characteristics and neither of his parents have dwarf characteristics (nor has either parent produced a dwarf foal). I am wondering:
I have seen a few roach-backed riding horses, so wouldn't think he is necessarily showing a sign of dwarfism.

Were he mine, I would geld him, and either keep him as a babysitter/pasture pet/trail driving horse, or give him to someone who just wants a backyard horse for the same thing. I say trail driving, but of course that would only be as long as he shows no sign of pain, or lamness. I have seen a slightly roached horse that was quite rideable as long as it was only a child riding him, and they had a custom saddle made for him...so these horses can still lead healthy, and useful lives.

1. How does this happen?2. Is it treatable?

3. Will he outgrow it?

4. Could he be in pain from this at some point in time? (He is not in pain at this time.)

5. Does this indicate that he is a minimal-expressive dwarf or perhaps a type 1 dwarf?

6. What would you do with this foal?
1) Genetics or injury. There are various injuries/conditions ("hunter's bump" comes to mind) that can deform the spine. You probably want to have a good vet examine him & do some diagnostics to rule out an actual medical scenario that would require treatment/rehab.

2) If it's injury related, maybe. If it's a true conformation fault, no. Just how God made him. Just because the parents don't have the fault doesn't mean they didn't each have part of the genetic puzzle and in the role of the dice, this guy got unlucky.

3) Again, if it's an injury, maybe. If it's a true fault, no.

4) Maybe. Again, it depends. The one true roach backed horse I knew wouldn't hold up to work due to the fault and had early arthritic changes in his pelvis & vetabrae. I've heard of other mildly roach backed horses having useful lives and being sound, while others are simply pasture puffs. It all just really and truly depends.

5) Maybe. Or it might just be a conformation fault.

6) I'd consult with the vets, do some diagnostics, and just wait and see. He's just 4 months old.

We had a roach back colt years ago - I don't know that it was related to dwarfism, but it was definitely a deformity. I think his spine was also slightly twisted. I took him to an equine vet/chiropractor when he was just a week or so old to see if she could do anything for him early on, she adjusted him but it had no affect on his shape. He too was a normal colt otherwise, bucked, played, was mischievious.... He was gelded and we sold him as a pet along with his buddy that year. I just recently found out that they ended up with a friend I hadn't seen in years, and she told me that he passed away awhile back. Assume he may have had some internal problems that weren't apparent at first.

Jan

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you, everyone, for your answers and opinions. My heart is breaking over this little guy. He is so sweet and I just want him to be OK.

Thanks, again!
default_biggrin.png

Debbi

Latest posts

Back