Mini dripping milk going on 38 hours...UPDATE

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

little lady

Reaction score
I have a mini mare that has been dripping milk for 38 hours, all is ready...anyone with this experience, tips and/or suggestions. Longest I ever had a full size horse drip was 8 hours so needless to say I am starting to get worried.

UPDATE: Not good. She started labor fine, the white bubble appeared(good no redbag) but after that it all went down hill. The foal was malpositioned. When I tried to repostion it I couldn't. It's withers were presenting. I could not believe it! I called 6 vets before I could find one and he said it would take him 40-45 minutes. Well after he got here he felt and said yes withers and the foal was dead. It took the vet sometime to get the foal repositioned and then it took the vet, my son and me to pull the foal. It had a badly twisted cord that it died from so there was going to be no way the mare would be able to re position the foal. It was an eighteen inch, stunning black and white stud colt. The vet says Pokey has some brusing but should be fine. She was such a trooper!!! She will be retired and live the best life I can give her. And I will never foal out a miniature again. I don't know how some of you do it. It was the most heart wrenching, helpless feeling I have ever had. So wishing the rest of you safe, non eventful foalings!

Thanks to all who offered comments.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would be concerned that she is losing all of her colostrum. But, there isn't really anything you can do about that. I would also be concerned that something isn't quite right. I would prepare for a dystocia, but I hope that isn't the case. Good luck and I hope all turns out well.

She is not very interested in her grain, normally she likes to go out and graze for a while where now she takes a few bites and goes back to stand in her stall. She is not rolling or laying down very much. Maybe I'm just over worried.
default_wacko.png

I have one that has been waxed since mid day on Friday... still no baby. These Minis also do NOT follow the same rules as the big horses at all. When we had the big horses, yep, when you saw them waxed or dripping, you could pretty much guarantee a foal within the next day or so. (usually that night) Wishing you the best, I am nervous about mine too and already lost one foal last week due to dystocia, though my mare is not rolling either.

Call the vet out. It is worth the piece of mind if nothing else. If I recall correctly their have been issues in the past with some forum members that have waited on the vet call and regretted it. Eventhough many mares are fickle very close to delivery, going off feed is something that be a red flag for my mares.

We've not had that happen but I would advise consulting the vet now, and also that you be sure and have the foal tested with an IgG test to verify she/he has gotten enough colustrom (can test the foal 12 or more hours after it first nurses).

default_no.gif
You did everything that could be done for Pokey and her baby boy. Believe me when I say that if I could breathe life into her little one I would. It is gut wrenching to watch something you care deeply about go thru suffering. Pokey will be o.k. and I know that she has the best home any mini could possibly have. Let her retire and be your pasture pal and know you are the best guardian any mini could have. I feel so bad that you had to experience this with your first foal.

I am so sorry. You did all you could and I am happy your mare is okay. I know the heart break and am just so sad you had to go through it
depresse.gif

So sorry to hear about your foal, you did all that you could. Glad to hear that your mare is ok - she will enjoy her future as your pasture friend
default_wub.png

Anna

I am so sorry that this happened with your mare.... we also has a terrible first mini foaling experience, it is heartwrenching. Thinking about you in Canada.

So sorry
default_no.gif
Glad your mare will be okay. Foaling problems like that can happen in minis, ponies, and big horses. Breeding horses is a risky business.

I have breed and raised horses all my almost 47 years and never lost a mare or foal. This is honestly the most heart wrenching experience I have ever had. I so love working with the foals, halter breaking and just watching them play. Each one of my animals is my family so this hurts so much.

THANK you everyone for your kind words!!!!!!!!

I am SO sorry you had to go through that... my first two or three years were awful, so I know how you feel. Now I am extra worried about my mare.............

I am SO so sorry........We also have had a similar loss........

Ma---

I have breed and raised horses all my almost 47 years and never lost a mare or foal. This is honestly the most heart wrenching experience I have ever had. I so love working with the foals, halter breaking and just watching them play. Each one of my animals is my family so this hurts so much.
THANK you everyone for your kind words!!!!!!!!
Sorry...I didn't mean to upset you. I suppose there is more of a risk when breeding mins
default_sad.png

Matt73- you didn't upset me...what you said is the truth. If you truly love your mare no matter size there is always a rise of something going wrong so people should think twice before breeding. I should have known that after all those years of good luck my luck was about to run out. I have a new understanding for what some of these people go through and they have my truly deepest sympathy.

I'm so sorry you had to go through this. (((((((HUGS)))))

I am so glad your mare is ok

we lost our 1st 2 last year

1 hiplock & 1 breech

and it just makes you stay

in a fog and not right for quite awhile

Thank God our first 2 this year are healthy colts

and we are waiting on our last 1 now for the spring

maybe 1 more in the fall not sure yet

again I'm so sorry
default_no.gif

So sorry for your loss but I am so very happy you got a vet out there ASAP and still have your mare.

Latest posts

Back