Milk Test Strips

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

barbiedoll68346

Reaction score
Maiden mare has been looking ready for days. She has a full udder and full nipples too. Soft in rear. I have never used milk test strips so I decided to try them yesterday. She tested between 6.2 and 6.4, but still no baby, lots of up and down all night.

Several days ago she had clear, very sticky milk, now yesterday it has turned white and sticky. Very easy to express milk from her too.

Just wondering how low PH should be before foaling, new at these test strips.

Thanks for any ideas!!!

Barb

I use the brand from walmart, and when my mares have hit 6.4 we typically see a foal with in 24 hrs
default_smile.png

I use distilled water, mix 3 cc distilled water to 1 cc mare milk.

If shes testing 6.4 or lower I wouldnt take my eyes off her! Best wishes!!

Oh I haven't taken my eyes off her. I used the foalTime strips that you do not need to mix with water etc. She just is taking forever after testing so low on PH, maybe because she is a maiden. I Don't kow?? Dad is babysitting her today. Hope he has better luck getting a foal out of her than me last night. Was up past 2am then HAD to sleep for a bit. Thanks for the info. Maybe someone with a maiden that they have used test strips on can enlighten me.

Barb

Ive never used the foal time strips. I would think that ph is ph ...This year a friend of mines mare held on for 48 hrs after testing ready. Seems some mares just dont read the book.
default_smile.png
I cant imagine she will hold on much longer by the way you have described.

Latest posts

Back