Milk Test Strips -- What do you think of these results?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Irish Hills Farm

Irish Hills Farm
Reaction score
Sassy is my last mare due, I have her due date down as 7/30. Anyway, this afternoon at 130 I tested her milk which is sticky and starting to get cloudy. The results were hardness 100+ and PH 8.4. I went down to the barn a few minutes ago to check on another horse and decided to check on Sassy as well. Her bag isn't full but it was warm so figured might as well see if there is a visual change. She doesn't like to be messed with down there so I got 3 small drops out before she moved. We've been working on this and she has gotten much better. Anyway, I was grabbing the halter and lead and noticed that those 3 drops were sticky enough that when 2 of my fingers touched, to pull them apart it was a "OH" moment. So decided to test her once more. 1015 results are hardness 250+ Ph between 7.2 - 7.8

I have the pool test strips from Walmart. This is the second mare I have used them on. So, whatcha think?

130 PM hardness 100+ ph 8.4

1015 PM hardness 250+ ph between 7.2 - 7.8

She is in the foaling stall and I went ahead and put the breeder alert on her.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am going to say that my experience has been they get to a pH level of 6.4 or lower first but she is progressing quickly so you just never know

Latest posts

Back