Metamucil

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carlenehorse

Reaction score
I have my horses on a dry lot and was wondering how much of the metamucil do you give to each horse.

Do frequent do you give it? Do you give it every day?

Thanks Carlene

my big gelding gets 3 tablespoons each day for 7 days out of the month. one mini, rebel, gets 1 tablespoon each day for the 7 days. i stopped giving it to red when he was suffering bouts of diarrhea but now that those have ceased, i will start him back on it.

I've never heard of giving metamucil to horses. What are the reasons or benefits from feeding it to them?

Maybe I missed something in a different thread. ??

Metamucil is psyllium, used to help prevent sand colic

Jessi

The Walmart "Fiber Therapy" is the same thing 100% psyllium and lots lots cheaper, comes in Orange or natural flavors.

Mine don't like the orange,
default_sad.png
figures since it's cheaper in the bigger bottle.

Per my vet, the minis get 1/4 c. M-W-F, we have very sandy soil here so we do it more often than some. Kathy

I check for sand FIRST, BEFORE I give psyllium. No sense to treat if you don't have a problem. There was an article in the Horse Journal that psyllium MAY upset the digestive tract of some horses.

I stopped my use of Metamucil years ago when I ran into trouble using it.

The biggest problem is that no one really knows the exact dosage to give any equine and as Whitney has said, it can really upset the innards. One way to go would be to use a product that has been especially designed for equine use.

I use beet pulp mashes now, sometimes daily, sometimes not, depending on if they are in dry lot or dirt areas but you have to be sure a problem exisits first.

If you give the fiber therapy, Hoe do you get them to eat it? I know mine won't open up and say awww. Also, no way to ask this without seeming incredibly stupid. How do you check for sand? My horses are on VERY sandy soil. I have even see the big dummies eat dirt. They do have a mineral block.

Get a ziploc bag and pick a fresh clean poop ball (preferably from the top of the pile) put in bag add water mash it up, hang it with a corner down if they have sand it will settle in the corner.

I use EQUUS brand (just got 300 lbs yesterday)which I buy from Country Supply(they give 5 of your order to non-profits of your choice).EQUUS is psyllium pellets and has a licorice smell.I mix it with their feed.It is very sandy where I live and I have learned that I must give it often.Every time mine eat grain or pellets it is one third psyllium.That works for me and no problems here.I have tried other regimins and this works best.Before this I have had as many as 8 sand colics at once-in the winter with snow on the ground.I also use heated buckets in winter to make sure everyone drinks enough.Sand colic is not fun and it can be fatal.The powdered stuff from Wal mart will work if you feed sweet feed-it will stick to it, but won't stick to pellets.Just use a human doasge Minis are about the same size as some big people.

Ok and if they do, how do you get them to take the Metamucil?
default_unsure.png
:
I get the orange flavor from Wal mart and mine eat pellets I just put it in with that they love it! Guess I have little piggys!
Yuppers that is all I do just mix it in with their grain and it is gone.

I give it once a month as a Preventive measure, once I have done the initial "clean out"

:aktion033: We have used the Fiber Therapy for years on the ranch. We have so much sand it's sad. The dosage after years of testing is 1/2 cup mixed into a 5 gallon pail of grain. We do this

everyother day everyother week. Knock on wood we have rid our horses of sand.

Ok, I did the poop in a zip lock bag test. I did bag 2 apples. I mashed them up and added some water. I think there are about 4-5 grains of sand in the corner of the bag. I must say my entire family thought I was crazy doing this. Anyway, with that amount of sand in 2 apples is metamucil needed? and how do I get them to open up ans say awww to take it? Oh, I only tested one mare. But, they all eat together.

Last edited by a moderator:
Something else to consider is that not only will psyllium pick up sand, but also other small debris which if left in the gut can form into entroliths (intestinal stones).

Latest posts

Back