Merlin Mini Hoof trimmer

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vvf

Reaction score
I think this might have been brought up awhile back.

Just wondering if anyone has one of these? I wonder how well they really work?

I have been having a tough time finding a good farrier for the last few years, and my back isn't what it used to be. So i am thinking about buying one of these. But I don't know anyone that has one and if they are worth it.

So thought I would ask if anyone here has any experience with this?

Hoof trimmer

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know anything about it, but you might try asking Maplegum (Australia), her minis Willow and Bailey are the mini demo video for the Merlin Hoof Trimmer.

I have the barracudas and since I can't seem to get another set I was considering these as well.

I hope someone replies. The distributor has a lot of good things to say about them however I worry about grinding too much and getting into big trouble.

however I worry about grinding too much and getting into big trouble.
That would be my fear as well - I have never seen them used but would be afraid it is to easy to make a whoopsie and that can result in some damage?

chandab... I hope she see's this and replies.. Or i will have to try to get ahold of her.

Genie...Yes i hope someone else replies, the price isn't all that bad, Heck, i paid almost that much for a regular nipper. But this looks like it might save me alot of work. It does say that there's a learning curve.

That would be my fear as well - I have never seen them used but would be afraid it is to easy to make a whoopsie and that can result in some damage?

That concerns me too, but I cannot find a decent farrier around here. I have probably tried 8 different farriers in the last 3 -4 years, and i am getting very frustrated. It seems every time i get a new farrier, i either end up retrimming the horses myself. or teaching them how to trim a mini properly. That sure seems like a big waste of money.

But the older i get, the harder it is getting for me to get the whole herd trimmed regularly. I thought this just might be the answer and a little easier on my back.

I asked about this on my other horse site, as I thought some posters felt it would be dangerous in the hands of amateurs. Well, I too have been frustrated by so-called farriers in this area, we do our own, I used to groom professionally so I went ahead and purchased one. It is made so that you only shave off small amounts at a time, they have explicit instructions for the use of each disc, starting with a milder one. I have had great success and have not yet crippled any horses! I love it.

I purchased the merlin hoof grinder about a month ago and have used it twice. I am very impressed with the little tool. You don't have to worry about taking too much off at a time as it only takes small amounts at a time and you control how much comes off. I bought it for some of the ones that I have a difficult rasping on because our ground is so dry that it makes the hooves very hard to rasp. Horses don't mind the noise. Yes it does take some getting used to and there is a learning curve. Start on a piece of wood to practice on. Then first few horses you do I recommend doing ones that have overgrown/long hooves so you have time to get used to the tool. I also bought the Miniature Hoof Jack to use with this tool, and I highly recommend it, it's about $150.00 but worth the money.

The only thing I will caution you with is how sharp the chainsaw blade is...I found out the hard way when the horse kicked and the end of my finger met the chainsaw blade...it left a mark and lucky I didn't lose the end of my finger!!! Have a good set of snug fitting heavy duty leather gloves to wear, and this will help...I had gloves on, but had taken them off as they were too big.

I am very happy with the tool, it will take you longer to do the hooves than a regular nipper/rasp, however the "grunt work" is taken away, so makes it much easier. The chainsaw blade doesn't leave a real smooth edge so I still use a rasp to smooth out the edges for cosmetic look. I think if you know how to trim hooves, it's a tool you will find will pay for itself very quickly.

I just saw the add for this in the Mini World Mag. Just wondering if there has been anyone else get one. I trim my mom and my minis and I think I am getting carpul tunnel in my hand because I have problems squeezing my hand on the nippers some times. But maybe it is just age. I have to time usually 40 to 50 head and I would like anything that is easier to use.

I would love any more input from anyone that might have gotten one recently.

I watched most of the videos I am just wondering how you trim the from I didnt see them do that in the video just the sole and wall.

Any input of people that has gotten one.

Let alone is there good instructions on how to trim the feet at so how to hold the grinder and use it in the kit.

Barb

Yep, we use the Merlin on Bailey and Willow, and now also Dasher the rescue. When I say 'we', I mean my husband. He does all of the trimming.

His wrists aren't working so well these days and was looking for something that would help with the pain of trimming. He kept saying 'there has to be an easier way, there has to be a power tool out there to do the job'. I researched and found the Merlin, showed hubby and we went ahead and ordered one.

Now, my hubby is a tradesman and has a lot of experience with power tools as he uses them daily. I'm sure this helped a lot. The machine itself is rather quiet and doesn't scare the horses at all, even Dasher the rescue.

here is the link to the youtube video we made. You can see how 'terrified' Bailey and Willow were. LOL

Hubby is very happy with the job it does and just does a final tidy up with the rasp if needed. It's not an agressive tool in the right hands. Please be sure to wear the gloves too!

I must say that my friend also ordered a Merlin at the same time and ended up selling hers. She could not get used to it and felt that it wasn't a safe tool in her hands.

I can see where it would be a tool that could work BUT, also one that needs undivided attention! Watched the videos they offered and all big orse feet on there. These tiny little hooves can be a challenge with nippers.....can we say practice??
default_wacko.png
I have scars on my knuckles from the rasp, would probably loose some bone with this thing
default_biggrin.png
We need a "try before you buy" session.

Last edited by a moderator:
I can see where it would be a tool that could work BUT, also one that needs undivided attention! Watched the videos they offered and all big orse feet on there. These tiny little hooves can be a challenge with nippers.....can we say practice??
default_wacko.png
I have scars on my knuckles from the rasp, would probably loose some bone with this thing
default_biggrin.png
We need a "try before you buy" session.
Did you see the youtube video I had just linked on the 1st page showing Bailey and Willow being trimmed? It has a safety guard to protect your fingers but gloves are still needed. I have never used it on the horses myself, hubby does that, but I did have a play around on a piece of small timber to get the 'feel' of it. It was actually very easy to use.

You could always buy one and if you don't like it, keep it for your taxidermy projects as it can also be used for those!! LOL.

Bess Kelly that is what I was hopeing to find someone that had one somewhat local that I could see use it in person and hopefully try it first. It is an investment of more money than what it costs to buy a rasp and nippers. I would hate to buy one and then not be able to use it. Let alone it would me me not my husband doing it. He knows how to trim horses but I never can get him to do it that is how I learned I had to do it.

I trim my own minis also, I have been thinking about a grinder type tool. I have decided to go for a hoof jack first, just as costly, I really think it will give me the extra leverage I need to rasp better.

I watched the video of the two minis being trimmed and noted something. The traditional way of trimming (big) horse hooves, especially the back feet is to stand bent over facing the rear of the horse. The hoof is pulled sideways (towards you), and placed betwen your knees to work. It's always been my assumption that this prevents the horse from kicking you... or at the very least, telegraphs the intent.

I note that the man is kneeling directly behind the mini with the hoof pulled toward him. If that mini decides to pull that hoof away and kick backwards, the man is going to get a mouth full of hoof! Don't think the mini can't or won't kick because my son-in-law just last weekend was kneeling behind one of our mares and she got feisty and pulled away and kicked. Silas was very lucky she didn't get him in the face. Minis can hurt you (sometimes) just as bad as a large horse. I suggested to Sials that he kneel to the side... You can still kneel on the ground, even rest the hoof on your bent knee, and still avoid a straight back kick...

Note: One of the difficulties in trimming mini hooves is it's easy to unbalance them when lifting their feet. You have to be very careful to not pull the leg too far to the side, or two far upwards. It causes them to dance around trying to regain their balance... The smaller the mini, the easier it is to unbalance them...

Kari

Not going into graphic detail - but have seen 2 horses hurt from this (chainsaw style) clippers. Mini & pony. Different owners - different experience. One severe heel/bulb damage. Other severed tendon.

Latest posts

Back