Merlin Magic Hoof Trimming Tool for Minis

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MountainWoman

Reaction score
Does anyone use the Merlin Trimming Tool for minis? Opinions?

I have it for my ponies and like it. You have to really practice before you get the hang of it, but I can keep up with trims on the ones that don't show. The show ponies, most of the crew have shoes, so a farrier do that.

Just trimmed 3 horses with it yesterday. This is my second year of owning one. I love this tool, but it's not for someone with no trimming experience.. You need to get the hang of the angle to hold it, but for me personally, I love it, and I use the chain saw blade

Wow! Scary!!! I hope this tool doesn't lead to a lot'of people doin' it themselves. A power tool such as this could be a real boon to the knowledgeable farrier but a major weapon in the hands of an inexperienced person just looking to save a buck. Anyone trying this out needs to use extreme caution.

Castle Rock, I don't believe Lori was directing that at you. You obviously have the knowledge, but I have to agree that there are far too many mini horse owners who jump into trimming their own minis' hooves without the experience, knowledge or guidance of a trained farrier. Something like this is downright scary in the wrong hands, and I hope that those without the proper skills will leave trimming to a farrier. People need to remember that a whoops can lame your horse for life.

Last edited by a moderator:
I wasn't trying to save a buck either. And believe me, I would much rather pay a good farrier to trim my horses feet so I wouldn't have to.. But after going through about 6 farriers in a couple years time and each one I had to either teach them how to trim a mini. Or I ended up retrimmed my horses when they were done... sure seemed like such a waste of money to me when your paying to have 20 some horses trimmed.

I am getting older and my arms/ hands just don't have the strength anymore and this tool has been the answer for me.

This tool is not nearly as scary as it seems.... But the biggest things I suggest is that yes, if you are going to use it,

1. you should have some idea how to trim feet. (that is just common sense)

2. you should practice on a piece of wood to get the feel of the tool

3. Always wear safety goggles or glasses

4. Wear leather gloves

5. When trimming back feet, it is VERY wise to wrap the horses tail in case the horse swishes it tail, you don't want to get tangled in the tool.

When I first started using it, i used one of the regular disc for practice, and honestly, i had it figured out on the first horse I did, it just took a few minutes to get the hang of it. I did end up going in the house and searching for videos on how to use and hold the tool..... when I figured out how to hold the tool, I switched to using the chain saw, and that is the only "blade" i use now.

Ummm if you understand what you are doing, I don't see an issue with this. I do some of my own and I have the farrier do some of them. If you think farriers are going to go out of business - not. And by the way my farrier actually likes the tool!

Had it... didn't like it... sent it back second day. It heats up quickly ( HOT) and is hard to hold...with a chain saw blade a good grip is important. Found it unsafe for the horse and the person.... for that out lay of cash, it should be better thought out and the heat problem fixed. This was last year, hopefully they have found a fix. They told me they were working on it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back