menopause

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dixie_belle

Reaction score
OMG, when it hits, it hits. I went from no symptoms to having hot flashes every 5 minutes or so. I have visited the health food store and picked up an herbal something or other that seems to be helping, just a little. But surely one of you guys has had these same symptoms. Does anyone have any suggestions?? I'd dearly love to get a good night's sleep without waking up drenching wet.

Shelley

OMG, when it hits, it hits. I went from no symptoms to having hot flashes every 5 minutes or so. I have visited the health food store and picked up an herbal something or other that seems to be helping, just a little. But surely one of you guys has had these same symptoms. Does anyone have any suggestions?? I'd dearly love to get a good night's sleep without waking up drenching wet.

Shelley
Hi Shelly, I am going on 58 years old.

I'm with you, could not handle it any more, tried all the over the counter products, nothing helped me!

So finally went to my Dr. and she prescribed Progesterone, micronized 100 mg. & Estrogens, conjugated 0.625 mg.

What a difference, she will not leave me on long, but it works.

Hubby still cannot understand me turning on the van, or having a door open.

Finally no more sweating at night, and my moods swings have been wonderful.

We have to do what helps us.

I am 53 well 54 on the 23rd of this month. I had a hysterectomy 2 years ago. I do get warm after I eat (weard huh?). Now last week my boobs got real tender. I guess I am weard. Can't help. Sorry.

I'd prefer to stay away from hormone replacement as I have a family history of ovarian cancer and this type of treatment could increase my cancer risk. I must do something, soon, as I can no longer sleep in the same bed as my husband. My constant flipping the blanket on and off keeps him up at night. And we won't even go into how much I sweat. I'm actually dehydrated!!! I used to not understand when some ladies at work complained about how uncomfortable it is but now the shoe is on the other foot. And I'd dearly love to get a good night's sleep - uninterrupted by tossing the covers off and then going looking for them five minutes later. Sigh. I can handle it during the day, it's the nights that are bad. I kept thinking this would be a short term thing then I did some research on the internet and discovered it could last 20 years! OMG, just shoot me now! LOL

There is a product called Amberen that I am quite interested in. It mimics your hormones. You take it for 90 days and then you are off for 90 days. So every year you only do two courses of treatment, each one is three months long. And it has a 30 day trial period with a money back guarantee. Their research looks promising. I have to be out of town most of next week but when I get back I will probably order a 90 day supply as you must sign for it at time of arrival. Until then I am taking vitamin E and some herbal stuff from the health food store that is helping some. I'm down to waking up only 3 or 4 times a night now instead of every 5 minutes.

I always said I wouldn't grow old and now I know why. LOL

Shelley

I'd prefer to stay away from hormone replacement as I have a family history of ovarian cancer and this type of treatment could increase my cancer risk. I must do something, soon, as I can no longer sleep in the same bed as my husband. My constant flipping the blanket on and off keeps him up at night. And we won't even go into how much I sweat. I'm actually dehydrated!!! I used to not understand when some ladies at work complained about how uncomfortable it is but now the shoe is on the other foot. And I'd dearly love to get a good night's sleep - uninterrupted by tossing the covers off and then going looking for them five minutes later. Sigh. I can handle it during the day, it's the nights that are bad. I kept thinking this would be a short term thing then I did some research on the internet and discovered it could last 20 years! OMG, just shoot me now! LOL

There is a product called Amberen that I am quite interested in. It mimics your hormones. You take it for 90 days and then you are off for 90 days. So every year you only do two courses of treatment, each one is three months long. And it has a 30 day trial period with a money back guarantee. Their research looks promising. I have to be out of town most of next week but when I get back I will probably order a 90 day supply as you must sign for it at time of arrival. Until then I am taking vitamin E and some herbal stuff from the health food store that is helping some. I'm down to waking up only 3 or 4 times a night now instead of every 5 minutes.

I always said I wouldn't grow old and now I know why. LOL

Shelley
You might try Black Cohosh-available at WalMart and other places in the vitamin section.I tried if for a while with other female hormone issues and it helped(suggested by a homeopathic doctor).I was lucky and never had any bad symptons of menopause except I cried a lot for no reason.You have my sympathy-I know it is not fun.

Gosh Shelley!!
default_new_shocked.gif
That's exactly what happened to me earlier in the year! Abslolutely aweful ... hot and cold all day and all night, waking up every hour with restless legs. Lucky for me, this went on for 2 weeks solid before coming to an abrupt halt. Strangely enough, I have suffered from night sweats for years (I'm 47), but they have now stopped!!

I'm not keen on HRT either, so far I have just put up with it. Since those first 2 weeks, things have settled a great deal, quite bearable, although I know it could flare up again any old time it pleases! I also get a little dizzy sometimes.

I have started taking a magnesium supplement, which has helped with a couple of things, so long as I remember to take it!
default_rolleyes.gif

Brigid

Last edited by a moderator:
I hate to be the bearer of bad news but I'm 68 and my hot flashes have just begin to get better in the last few months (Thank You God!). Just another of those not so great things about getting older. LOL

Good Morning,

I have been using a product from Arbonne that's call PhytoProlief, which is a Natural Balancing Cream. Here's some information on it:

PhytoProlief Balancing Cream Results in More Energy and Fewer Mood Swings

PhytoProlief is Botanically Based Balancing Cream

Arbonne's PhytoProlief Natural Balancing Cream is the one little bottle that I must have. This amazing cream improves my mood and gives me energy. If I'm traveling, the balancing cream gets carried on and not checked with the luggage.

A balancing cream is a blend of phytoestrogen herbs that adapt to women in any phase of their lives. The phytoestrogens in PhytoProlief help balance either too little or too much estrogen. Women who are nursing or pregnant should not use it.

Hormonal imbalance can result in mood swings, foggy thinking, depression, weight gain around the middle, hot flashes and lack of energy. PhytoProlief is a natural balancing cream that shows us that all of these symptoms are not simply part of life. Sometimes we forget what it feels like to be light and energetic.

The ingredients in PhytoProlief have been used for many years in treating hormonal imbalances, so the beauty of PhytoProlief is that it brings together a beneficial blend of these herbs in an easy-to-use lotion. For example, red clover and black cohosh are often recommended as teas to address hot flashes, etc. The teas work, but you can't always have a cup of tea on hand given our lifestyles. Information on individual herbs is available at the National Institutes of Health National Center for Complementary and Alternative Medicine, http://nccam.nih.gov/.

The key ingredients in PhytoProlief are chaste tree, dong quai, evening primrose oil, red clover, alfalfa, licorice, ginseng and black cohosh extracts. The blend is light and greaseless. It absorbs immediately. The Prolief for me is made without the phytoestrogens.

If you are not nursing or pregnant, check into PhytoProlief, and Prolief for men. It's a small bottle and you simply rub in a squirt on your inner arms or armpits after a shower

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I am on a small HRT pill. Mine is 1mg BUT my doctor has me to go off of it for 1 week (7 days) at the beginning of each month. Just like if you were on the pill. I use my PhytoProlief with my HRT pill every day with the exception of when I come off of it from the 1-7th of each month. I had a total hysterectomy almost three years ago. The day after my surgery I went through full blown menapause in less than 24 hours. Wasn't fun at all. Now I don't suffer from night sweats or mood swings, but I do have to watch my weight (weight problems runs on both sides of my family). My DR wants me completely off all HRT by the time I'm 60. I will tell you this...coming off of the HRT & the Phytoprolief for the 7 days, I still don't have any hot flashes or problems. Maybe because I've used it faithfully for so long that my body is accustom to the balance in my system now. Don't know, but for those of you that are looking for something, give it a try. It usually takes (3) three weeks before you'll see a change.

Karen

www.arbonneinternational.com

Last edited by a moderator:
I wish I could help but I am just living with the Menopause issues. Talking with the Doc, she said that Stress can make the Hot flashes worse. And so far with me, she does seem to be right.

My body doesn't like drugs, so I won't go that route. Someone else told me eating a little bit of soy everyday can help too, though I haven't tried that.

Good luck!

Shelley

While waiting for my husband in the doctor's office I was reading a magazine and it had a tip that works for me. Take 1 Vitamin E 400 IU daily. When I started on this, my hot flashes stopped after just a couple days. It is so simple and yet it works for me and now I take one daily. Give it a try!

What you don't do can have some effect as well. For example, drinking anything with caffeine (coffee, tea, cola etc) can make hot flashes worse, as can spicy foods. Different people find theirs are set off more by different foods so try to be a little bit aware of what you eat and drink before they flare up. Good luck,
default_biggrin.png
and welcome to the 2nd half of your life. Things are going to get better and better from here.
default_yes.gif

Latest posts

Back