Meet Sadie

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drivin*me*buggy

Reaction score
Meet Sadie, a 17 week old beagle! We just got her Wed. night
default_smile.png
She is so sweet and seems very smart. We are working on housebreaking, she'll get it I hope ;) Needless to say after the sadness of losing our dear mini schnauzer Timber suddenly at the end of summer to pancreatitis , she has brought some smiles to us all and a buddy to our sweet Lab, Tug.

380145014.jpg

380145022.jpg

She is a doll. Beagles are great dogs. Only problem I ever had was there love for chickens.
default_wacko.png

Sadie is a cutie and very sweet looking in the sleeping picture.
default_wub.png

Beagles are great dogs. And the puppies are the cutest pups, bar none!

What an absolute cutie
default_wub.png
. We too lost a schnauzer to pancreatis almost 4 years ago now and we went out and added a golden retriever to our brood of animals
default_laugh.png
. Can i ask you if your schnauzer was silver in color? I head that the ones that are pure silver or white may have pancreatitis more so than the other colors. Not sure how true that is or not.

Hi Danielle,

Our schnauzer was black. He was only 4 1/2. It was so sudden. He was my son's best bud.
default_sad.png
Sadie is making him smile now
default_smile.png

This was our dear Timber.

380184923.jpg

Awww what a little cutie!! Good luck with her. I'm sure you'll be making some special memories with her.

The beagle puppy is adorable. We have two mini schnauzers and did not know that pancreatitis was a problem with the breed. Thanks for the information.

From vetinfo.com: "There are a number of things which can initiate or facilitate enzyme leakage, so pancreatitis can occur for a number or reasons. Often, it takes a combination of precipitating factors to cause pancreatitis to occur in a dog or cat. High fat diets, obesity and lack of exercise are the most common "life-style" contributors. Miniature schnauzers are predisposed to pancreatitis due to a tendency to have high levels of lipoproteins in their blood streams. Corticosteroids and azathioprine medications may contribute to the tendency to develop pancreatitis. Hyperadrenocorticism, a naturally occurring overproduction of corticosteriods that is fairly common in dogs may also lead to an increased susceptibility to pancreatitis. Anything that interferes with blood supply to the pancreas or release of digestive enzymes by the pancreas may lead to pancreatitis. For some reason, pancreatitis does not occur, or is not recognized, as often in cats as it does in dogs.

The "typical" pancreatitis patient is middle-aged or older and overweight. There may be a slightly higher prevalence of this problem in female dogs but it does occur commonly in both sexes. Often, the family has just had a party or a big holiday meal when this disease strikes. This is not a disease that restricts itself to any particular scenario, though. It often occurs in patients that do not fit the typical profile and it has highly variable clinical signs."

Cute Beagle pup. Just be sure to watch her weight as the breed is notorious for over-eating... everything! (Your Schnauzer looked to be somewhat overweight in the picture you shared.) On the plus side, food motivated dogs are very easy to train! I suggest you check out http://www.clickertraining.com and http://www.dogstardaily.com for more information on that.

Beagles are such cute dogs as a pup or a adult. They are usually really lovable.

Nice that your son is going to have a buddy again.

Cathy

Thanks for the replies everyone...she is a very sensitive girl- different than our labs or our schnauzer.

Mininik- yup- we had discussed the high lipoprotein issues w/ our vet at Timber's spring vet visit and he was switched to a lowfat food (Cal Naturals Lamb and rice) and wasn't one to get table scraps or greasy food, he had lost weight and was such a lively boy. His sudden illness was a puzzle even to the vets who at first thought he got into something poisonous- but there was NO chance of that- I had asked about possibly erlichia or pancreatitis-we had bloodwork done...the vet leaned toward sudden pancreatitis, possibly, apparently sometimes it can hit so hard and suddenly... but nothing was totally conclusive...anyway- it was a very sad event that I hope to ever go through again.

Fingers crossed potty training has been good these s last 2 days- with a kibble after she goes outside.

Our little "Pepper" (silver mini-schnauzer) wasn't even a year old but she had a liver shunt problem which was hereditary and usually (or so I read) happens with either white or silver schnauzer, hence the reason that the CKC doesn't or didn't recognize the white schnauzer in their registry. We lost Pepper at less than a year old. I noticed something was very wrong around the age of 4 months when she started having convulsions and usually after she ate. She wasn't overweight by any means if anything she was much too thin. The vet had her on an all vegetarian diet because any type of protein set off convulsions. She wasn't given table scraps either. The last night she was with us was absolutely horrible. The pancreatic attack was so severe that she went blind and was totally disoriented and walked like a drunken sailor
default_no.gif
default_no.gif
default_no.gif

This is our crazy "fuller"
default_smile.png
, a golden retriever. He is wonederful with ALL my animals, including the toy duck which is his favorite toy. My ducks don't look too impressed with him, lol.

fullerducks_1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back