New furry addition to our household

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carolyn R

Reaction score
We live in a multigenerational household. Not everyone's cup of tea, but it works for us. My mother dearly missed out black lab that passed away in March at 14 years of age. It really hit her hard when Summer hit and she did not have her companion at her feet in the flower beds or to take a swim in the pool with (yes, our dogs are welcome to take a dip in the inground pool with us). He was community property, so to speak. I flew him back from Arizona with me when at ten months of age. My brother was in the middle of a divorce and faced with selling his home. He could not keep him. Anyhow, she loves our mini aussies, but they are bonded with me and the kids, and my father. The bond they have with him is beyond words. She found herself milling over and over the thought of a medium/large breed pup.This will most likely be the last dog she ever owns, sad but true. If it lives out a normal lifespan, she will be well into her 80s when it passes. It is bitter sweet thinking of it that way, i was not about to tell her no, but the role reversal does come into play, and she did get the " well, you know it is gonna be your responsability. You will have to get up to potty train it, and take it to the vet, and get yourself motivated to get outside and throw a ball with it and teach it to walk on a leash......" She has a habit of pawning things off on others, and to an extent, we comply given she is not in the physical condition she once was. We'll, she has chosen a golden retiever for the mellow faithful demeanor they have (after the puppy stage of course). Her name will be Molly. She will join our home in a week. I had to share a photo of the new member of the household and I also am including a picture of my daughter's hahns macaw she got for her sweet 16.

As with many of you, I am sure to outsiders, our home seems like more of a zoo or exhibit, but unless someone is an animal person, they just don't get it! Thanks for letting me share!

molly2.jpg

DSCF4570.JPG

DSCF4561.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
How lucky all of you are.I think a puppy is the best present anyone could ever get.Enjoy-all of you.It looks so sweet.

Sweet puppy!!!!! She'll make your mom very happy. I think it's wonderful that your whole family are animal lovers!

default_thumbup.gif

I get it... my house too is a zoo or exhibit, many heads to pet. that is a lovely puppy. If puppy begins to be a handful you could even consider having a local trainer come and give her a private lesson with puppy in home. I used to travel around to different homes and especially enjoyed working with older folks and their dogs and puppies in their homes. Easier to work one on one with the person in familar turf and outside the havoc of a puppy obedience class. Just a thought.

My mom got herself a puppy 7 years ago. So glad she had that dog for company when my dad passed. She choose a puppy when I would have rather found her an older slower rescue dog. He drove her nuts, made her cry and pulled her down and he is the light of her life and if she had to do it over again she would in a minute. He is great company even though can still be a little stinker, it gives her so much fun to tell all the "Nicky did this and that" stories to all her friends. She has much to talk about and most of our conversations to our mom is about what the dog did, she never talks about herself, just about the dog. Rather funny, us kids kind of joke on the side and when we chat with eachother and say... "Hows mom's dog doing?"... lol, he is the center of her life. This pup will give your mom something to talk about and be her best friend and companion. Thanks for sharing. Love the bird too. I miss having birds.

Oh cute, I LOVE golden retrievers. If one would just drop in my lap I'd have one in a heart beat! I had the 'animal lovers' discussion with a friend this week, lol. They were taking family photos and it consisted of 8 people and 8 dogs...we were hoping for a patient photographer :p

My small family is out numbered by far...just in dogs, not counting the other critters. There are 6 of us in my family that would get together to take family pics (my side, hubby's is much larger and but NOT (EDITED to add the not) really TRUE animal peeps like my family is, lol) So I had to do an official count of everybody's animals (some have died of old age in the last year we needed an accurate count anyway) and it kinda made me realize we're just pure crazy.

My situation is kinda like yours we don't live in same households but we're close and usually at each other's places. But it's multi-generational where we're all involved in each others lives and a new pet has to work in the dynamic (for instance we can't have an aggressive dog or one that chases cats, ducks, etc. otherwise it will make that new pet miserable being left behind.) My dad's farm is the 'main' farm that we keep the show horses at since he has the best set up with my sister and I having smaller properties we've either bought or inherited that are works in progress, though my farm may eventually be the bigger farm if we continue to buy out hubby's siblings like we plan and keep adding to it.

Here's the break down so maybe you don't feel so bad

With 6 people there are now 15 dogs, 16 horses (and I can maybe count 4 more as those hubby's family horses that are in my back yard too,)1 donkey, 2 goats (and I'm planning to get more goats soon) 10 ducks (which are all tame 'pets') and an uncountable number of cats due to 2 momma cats showing up with large litters lately but the strictly inside cats are about 10 at the moment with approximately 15-20 more in the various barns (most of which are at the 'main' barn.) Eventually chickens and maybe a cow or two (I want a milk cow!) will be added to my farm, maybe sheep and pigs...depending on how I feel. Again that is not our highest numbers, just the current count :p

Last edited by a moderator:
With 6 people there are now 15 dogs, 16 horses (and I can maybe count 4 more as those hubby's family horses that are in my back yard too,)1 donkey, 2 goats (and I'm planning to get more goats soon) 10 ducks (which are all tame 'pets') and an uncountable number of cats due to 2 momma cats showing up with large litters lately but the strictly inside cats are about 10 at the moment with approximately 15-20 more in the various barns (most of which are at the 'main' barn.) Eventually chickens and maybe a cow or two (I want a milk cow!) will be added to my farm, maybe sheep and pigs...depending on how I feel. Again that is not our highest numbers, just the current count :p
You have us beat hands down! We have always had multiple dogs and typically two or more horses, and the various other animals like goats, chickens, pheasants, ferret years ago, cats, birds. These days it is just dogs, a cat, one mini macaw (the Hahns macaw) two big horses, two mini horses and one chicken that is 9.5 years old. None the less, some family members and friends get it, others give the eye roll, LOL. Then there is the previous post I made a week ago about my SIL trying to give away my brother's dogs while he was volunteering at a youth cadet type of camp all last week. It pains me to see him married to someone that is so distant from his roots. She clearly doesn't get it. I am proud to teach my kids life lessons of compassion, care, understanding and family values, like.....caring for sick or aged family members. If one is capable of being home to care for an elderly or terminally ill family member, the so be it, that is what you do. we have been there, done that, wasn't always easy and someday it will be my parents in the shoes of those family members. There are some lessons in life that no amount of money will buy, today's values don't often include the importance of an extended family and caring for our elders. Enough of that! I will be sure to post pics of the new furry household member upon her arrival, puppies always make for smiles! We call it IPT, intense puppy therapy.

Goldens are THE BEST family dogs as far as we are concerned........We've always had a Golden in our lives since we've been married.

And yes, our home looks like a zoo exhibit too. Five dogs, 7 cats, two caged birds, two fish tanks.... just IN the house. I'm not counting the two 3 week old puppies we're fostering for the shelter!

I love your new fur baby!!! She is adorable, and I loved the feathered one, too
default_wub.png

You are probably right that a mulit-generation home isn't everyone's cup of tea, but to me -- it would be an ideal dream come true! I'm sure it's tense sometimes, but I would love to have more interaction with my parents and we already spend A LOT of time together (through the business and I call them at least 2x a day to check in, and catch up).

Plus, we also love having a variety of well loved pets
default_wub.png

With the right mix of people, I would love to live in a multi-generation household! Both my husband and I have little to no family anymore and I hate that my kids are not surrounded by a whole crowd of family as a result.

I too am a huge fan of Goldens, so I think your new girl is fabulous! What a blessing to your mom she will be!

I have to get some pics of her posted. My Mom is head over heals in love with her,my mini Aussie with the stress/severe allergies went off her food for a day and had a digestive upset, but seems to slowly be warming up to her.Her take on the new puppy seems to be " I can't believe you brought that thing home, what it is? It is all one color and has two dark eyes not to mention that large appendage attached to its butt, it must be inferior !" (mini Aussies have docked tails)

The othe mini Aussie is funny, she tries to play by doing the herd dog thing...stomp stomp on the floor then pushes her with both front paws, the poor puppy is like" I don't understand what your trying to tell me, Timmy is stuck in the well? What?"

I have to get some pics of her posted. My Mom is head over heals in love with her,my mini Aussie with the stress/severe allergies went off her food for a day and had a digestive upset, but seems to slowly be warming up to her.Her take on the new puppy seems to be " I can't believe you brought that thing home, what it is? It is all one color and has two dark eyes not to mention that large appendage attached to its butt, it must be inferior !" (mini Aussies have docked tails)

The othe mini Aussie is funny, she tries to play by doing the herd dog thing...stomp stomp on the floor then pushes her with both front paws, the poor puppy is like" I don't understand what your trying to tell me, Timmy is stuck in the well? What?"
LOVE IT!!!
default_smile.png

Latest posts

Back