Meet Kingsley

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi, I'm asking for some advise with Kingsley.
I have him lungeing at a walk and trot but he will not canter at all. I've use a whip(not on him) and a training flag. He has broken into a canter 2 times but goes back to a trot. I've had another person inside and out of the circle and it has not made a difference. He runs around my big area just fine with the other two. Do you have any ideas or tips?
Thank you.

You may have to build him up to a canter. A lunge line changes their balance. Make a huge deal with praise when he breaks into a canter and stop him or tell him to trot after a couple of strides. The idea is to stop him and reward him before he goes back to a trot. Or ask for a trot before he actually breaks back to the trot. If you can time it right, he will catch on. Then you can start asking for more strides. Try to make it fun.

You may have to build him up to a canter. A lunge line changes their balance. Make a huge deal with praise when he breaks into a canter and stop him or tell him tThiso trot after a couple of strides. The idea is to stop him and reward him before he goes back to a trot. Or ask for a trot before he actually breaks back to the trot. If you can time it right, he will catch on. Then you can start asking for more strides. Try to make it fun.
@DragonHill, I didn't praise him when he did try to canter. It was so short. Makes sense to do so, so he knows what I'm asking.

Yes, a longer line, repeatedly asking for a stride or two of canter, or even moving him to a round pen (or square if that's what you have) may help. Horses with big trots tend to feel more comfortable at a trot, especially in the small circle of a lunge line. It takes them a while to build up confidence and balance sometimes.

Latest posts

Back