Measuring, weight question?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cupcake

Reaction score
Ok so I remeasured my horse, since I messed up yesterday.

Whe I got her she was underweight with a potbelly.

February, 10 months, 27", 90 lbs.

Now she really has a belly, 17 months, and according to this measuring chart

http://www.lilbeginnings.com/info/misc/

Girth: 41"

Length: 40"

Height: 32"

So with the top chart she would weigh 224lbs (!!)

With the formula on the bottom it would still be 214lbs!

Can a yearling gain THAT much weight in 7 months?

I used the large horse measuring height/weight tape, which has centimeters on one side and converted it in inches. The height seems odd though since I didn't think she was over 30" yet and she shouldn't mature above 33" according to the height chart and parents height.

Last edited by a moderator:
The 10 month weight seems too little to me. I just did a 4-H Program on this, using our weanlings (5 months old) and our tiny, tiny filly (25" tall) weighs an estimated 100 pounds, Our giant-sized weanling weighs about 170 pounds and has already gained measurable weight since weaning last month. I use a regular household tape measure.

I have a so-so livestock scale (an auction find, but not too bad). I've weighed all my horses, except this year's babies. My 31" slight-build stallion is 170-175# at good weight. I'll try to get a height and weight on my babies, as I've not weighed them, yet.

That sounds about right to me as well. My 31" very refined yearling filly with 40" girth and 36" length was about 190 lbs weighed in at the vet's in the spring-not chubby and needed just a tish more filling in on her topline.

Not only did your filly grow 5", it sounds like she's been getting much better nutrition as well. For reference, my 27" yearling filly that was not thin weighed in at just under 130 lbs so if your girl was malnutrioned, 90 lbs may have been right.

She definitely did weigh 90 lbs in February, she was weighed on a dog scale at the vet then. I do think she still eats way too much alfalfa, I really need to weigh the bag to see how much in pounds, even with the weight of 200+ lbs she should eat no more than 4 lbs a day right? sheets to nibble on bits of grass through the grazing muzzle while she's in the pasture. Before she figured it out she was irritable because she didn't have anything to eat out there but now she "looks like" she's grazing and very content. In the stall all she does is chop all day and sleep after having a full belly.

Sounds like you are taking really good care of her. I saw the "before" pix and am soooooooooooo glad she has you now!

It does sound like you have done a great job with her if she only weighted 90 pounds at 10 months. If she still has a belly, though, she might need more protein. And yes, it is a good idea to weigh the feed. For the weanlings - because that was our 4-H lesson - they need 14-16% TOTAL protein in their diets, which we could only get using grass hay (10% protein) by adding some Calf Manna at 25% protein. Yearlings will need less total protein in the diet, but still more than mature horses.

Latest posts

Back