mini weight chart

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lucky seven

Reaction score
I have been trying to figure out Seven's weight by using the chart and don't understand the directions. It says to measure the body point to point. Does that mean from the middle of the chest to his tail or from the beginning of his shoulder to the end of his body? When I measured his girth the tape said he was 52" The way I measured his body I came up with 52 x 52 x 48 = 129792 divided by 300. I come up with 432.64. My boy is 9 hands and 36 at his withers. According to the chart he is close to 70 pounds overweight. He could stand to loose some weight but I don't think he is that much overweight. Right now he gets 3 meals of 2 pounds of hay and he eats what little grass comes up in his pen. He gets no grain. He does steal hay from his buddy so I think he eats about 8 pounds total each day.

I believe it is the measurement of the center of the chest, to underside of tail multiplied by the heartgirth squared (behind the whithers, all of the way around where a saddle goes) then divide that sum by 300 (I think its 200 for cows). That number should be an approximate weight.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks, I will remeasure him, I need to keep track of his weight because I'm worried he might founder again. Keeping his weight down is a top priority so it won't happen again.

The chart in the mini info pages, under misc, says to measure from the Point of shoulder to Point of buttock. Heart girth is where a harness saddle would sit. I use all the formulas when I weigh, and get an average.

I would think it depends on which "chart" you're trying to use. There's a couple formulas out there; I learned that what they all have in common is that none are particularly accurate (to the tune of plus/minus 50 lbs.)

We gave Baby laminitis from overfeeding her (pasture and hay; no grain---I won't even try to comment on feeding regimes.) I'd have to find my spreadsheet for the formula, but the one I was using measured heart girth and point-of-shoulder to point-of-pelvis. The formulas are so inaccurate that the vet told me to just measure from a baseline (i.e., measure for a change and hope for a reduction in girth vice trying to nail down a specific weight.) So I was measuring the heck out of our three. What I learned is that they need to be on a hard surface; they have to be standing the exact same way each time; you have to measure in the exact same place every time... and even then, sometimes, one of them would grow an inch or two. I don't measure anymore. Goldilocks kind of said it... you have to know your horse. That's the best way.

Good luck.

I've given up on the charts also. The best way for me is to just look at him, like all of you I know my horse and when he is a bit pudgy. I guess if I continue to weigh his hay and monitor what he steals from his buddy we should be fine. Thanks for the help.

Latest posts

Back