McCain pals around with radicals, too?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LowriseMinis

Reaction score
Little bit pulled from Wikipedia, bolding mine of course:

Watergate burglaries

Main article: Watergate burglaries

While Liddy was not one of the five men who broke into the Watergate Complex in an effort to bug the headquarters of the Democratic National Committee, he did mastermind the operation. For his role, which he coordinated with Hunt, Liddy was convicted of conspiracy, burglary and illegal wiretapping, and received a 20-year sentence and was ordered to pay $40,000 in fines. He began serving the sentence on January 30, 1973. On April 12, 1977, President Jimmy Carter commuted Liddy's sentence to eight years, "in the interest of equity and fairness based on a comparison of Mr. Liddy's sentence with those of all others convicted in Watergate related prosecutions", leaving the fine in effect.[6] Carter's commutation made Liddy eligible for parole as of July 9, 1977. Liddy was released on September 7, 1977.

Advice to listeners

Liddy is noted for controversial advice to his radio audience, including on one occasion in 1994, after the federal raid on the Branch Davidian compound in Waco, Texas, Liddy advised his listeners: "Now if the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms comes to disarm you and they are bearing arms, resist them with arms. Go for a head shot; they're going to be wearing bulletproof vests. ... Kill the sons of b******." [7]

[edit] Liddy's connections to John McCain

In 1998 Liddy hosted a fundraiser at his house for John McCain's re-election campaign at which guests could have their pictures taken with McCain and Liddy.[8] Over the years, Liddy, who has referred to McCain as "an old friend," has made at least four contributions totaling $5,000 to the senator's campaigns -- including $1,000 in 2008. When David Letterman asked McCain about his relationship with Liddy, McCain said, "I know Gordon Liddy. He paid his debt. He went to prison and paid his debt, as people do. I'm not in any way embarrassed to know Gordon Liddy."[9][10]

Sure, I remember..........And he's had a very interesting radio talk show......at least he DID. Haven't listed to Talk Radio recently. I actually enjoyed the show.........

There's no doubt that what he did was illegal, although he also was one of the "fall guys" to take the brunt of it. But because of his history he also has been very good at offering an "insider's view" of politics......... both good AND bad.
default_wink.png

Yeah, I also have enjoyed listening to G. Gordon Liddy a time or two, but don't think I'd care to listen to Rev. Wright, a viciious anti-American racist, or Bill Ayers, a former terrorist . . .
default_rolleyes.gif
From my perspective, to compare McCain's connection to Liddy and Obama's connection to Wright and Ayers is really apples to oranges. I probably said something similar the first time you brought this up
default_biggrin.png

Last edited by a moderator:
You're right Jill, there is no comparison between Obama-Ayers and McCain-Liddy, where Obama has repeatedly and vocally denounced Ayers radical views and Ayers himself was never convicted of anything, and has since become a fairly productive member of society.

On the other hand, let me re-highlight something from my first post.

"Liddy advised his listeners: "Now if the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms comes to disarm you and they are bearing arms, resist them with arms. Go for a head shot; they're going to be wearing bulletproof vests. ... Kill the sons of b******."

And

"McCain said, "I know Gordon Liddy. He paid his debt. He went to prison and paid his debt, as people do. I'm not in any way embarrassed to know Gordon Liddy."

Denounced may not have been the right word, but Obama has made it clear he does not support or agree with the radical views and things that Ayers did in the past.

And am I to take away from this that we're okay with McCain hanging out with, and taking money from a convicted felon who told his listeners to kill ATF officers?

Lowrise -- These are some of the things to which Obama sat in church, listened to and voiced "AMEN". For TWO decades. That's probably almost as long as you've been alive. Give me Liddy ANY day over this racist spirtual and moral leader to Obama..

“We bombed Hiroshima, we bombed Nagasaki, and we nuked far more than the thousands in New York and the Pentagon, and we never batted an eye.”

“We have supported state terrorism against the Palestinians and black South Africans, and now we are indignant because the stuff we have done overseas is now brought right back to our own front yards. America’s chickens are coming home to roost.” (Sep 2001)

“The government gives them the drugs, builds bigger prisons, passes a three-strike law and then wants us to sing ‘God Bless America.’ No, no, no, God darn America, that’s in the Bible for killing innocent people. God darn America for treating our citizens as less than human. God darn America for as long as she acts like she is God and she is supreme.” (2003)

“In the 21st century, white America got a wake-up call after 9/11/01. White America and the western world came to realize that people of color had not gone away, faded into the woodwork or just ‘disappeared’ as the Great White West kept on its merry way of ignoring black concerns.” (magazine article)

“Racism is how this country was founded and how this country is still run!…We [in the U.S.] believe in white supremacy and black inferiority and believe it more than we believe in God.” (sermon)

“Barack knows what it means living in a country and a culture that is controlled by rich white people. Hillary would never know that. Hillary ain’t never been called a nigger. Hillary has never had a people defined as a non-person.”

“Hillary is married to Bill, and Bill has been good to us. No he ain’t! Bill did us, just like he did Monica Lewinsky. He was riding dirty.” (sermon)

“The Israelis have illegally occupied Palestinian territories for over 40 years now. Divestment has now hit the table again as a strategy to wake the business community and wake up Americans concerning the injustice and the racism under which the Palestinians have lived because of Zionism.”

but Obama has made it clear he does not support or agree with the radical views and things that Ayers did in the past.
funny then that he began his political career in his living room.

Ayers himself was never convicted of anything, and has since become a fairly productive member of society.
hhmmm, then why would he not support him if he is such a productive member of society?

Well, we mustnt forget Palin is married to an anti-American sessesionist
default_rolleyes.gif
Wonder what her true views are?

I've sat in pews of churches, sat next to people and listened to things I did not agree with. Unless you can show me Obama saying "Amen!" to those things, show me where he says he agrees, or show me where he plans to put Rev. Wright in his cabinet somewhere, I don't see how his opinions factor in to anything.

Now, back to the subject at hand. Jill, are you sure you're okay with McCain having a friendship with a man, taking money from man who is a convicted felon, and told his listeners to shoot ATF officers in the head?

I am fine, totally and completely, with any relationship between McCain and Liddy.

So seedy connections are okay when it's 'your guy'.

So Liddy is fine. The Keating Five is okay. His wife's fortune coming from organized crime is okay. It's fine with you that his VP candidate's husband was part of a secessionist movement, hanging around with people who hate America.

I think it's interesting that when Khalidi was linked to Obama it was a big deal. Then it was found out that a group McCain chaired gave a group Khalidi was involved with almost $500,000-and we haven't heard much about Khalidi since then, have we?

Lowrise, I answered your question pretty directly. From my perspective McCain / Liddy are not the type of issue that Obama / Ayers and Obama / Wright are.

I've got a client appointment momentarily. Maybe if you want to press me for further elaboration, you could send me a PM or an email?

Lowrise, it's been like this from the very start of this campaign.

"Say as I do, not as I say". It's okay for the republican candidate but not for the democrat candidate
default_wacko.png
. Doesn't matter what you say that is the stand they are taking.
default_gaah.gif

Latest posts

Back