Maryland Blizzard of 2/2010

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WhiteTailsMinis

Reaction score
It was pretty wet heavy snow at first so figured out real quick that was not good for the mechanics of my camera - so most of the pictures are after things settled down - and some melting had occured due to rainfall:

BlizzardFeb2010006.jpg

BlizzardFeb2010001.jpg

Notice the paths we made with tractor to assist the horses in moving around to their water etc - we had to do it again as the wind was so strong we got drifts. these are the PREGGORS - minus the 8 in the barn under watch:

BlizzardFeb2010034.jpg

Some pictures of "Stallion Row" - starting with Electro and Destiny - they didn't venture past the path they wore down:

BlizzardFeb2010046.jpg

Here is OC and Bailey - if you look close you can see NO prints anywhere else in their pasture:

BlizzardFeb2010040.jpg

Don't leave out Bonus - and you can see the path we follow to get to them:

BlizzardFeb2010044.jpg

Let's not leave out the babies - gosh, they are YEARLINGS now but always babies to us - we had to do a path for them to get to their water as they were hopping like bunnies in that belly high snow:

BlizzardFeb2010069.jpg

BlizzardFeb2010096.jpg

Then the worst part was our road - not the county road mind you but our own farm road - we plowed several times each day - I stayed home from work not only to care for the livestock in this mess - but as you can see it was difficult to get out!

BlizzardFeb2010053.jpg

BlizzardFeb2010055.jpg

BlizzardFeb2010058.jpg

BlizzardFeb2010061.jpg

BlizzardFeb2010029.jpg

BlizzardFeb2010073.jpg

That's alittle piece of our life the last two weeks - still frozen everywhere but passable (I'm back at work urgh).

Thanks for peeking into our little world in Southern Maryland's Blizzard of 2010

default_saludando.gif

Oh my gosh!! Your poor hubby deserves a huge smooch and lots and lots of hot chocolate after braving that storm to keep your horses safe and happy. If I were there Id have my chair right out in the sunnyest part in your yard, sitting in the snow and just be day dreaming of all your beautiful horses and barn!! It really is a spectacular looking farm. The pictures are beautiful!! Thanks

Doesn't look like much fun unless you are building snowmen, sleeding and drinking hot chocolate! Cute fuzzy horses!
default_biggrin.png

That's insane! I spent some time in Canada a few years back during the winter and couldn't believe the amount of work that is required just to get out of your front door and driveway! The snow is really pretty, but I honestly don't think I would cope.

Your photos are beautiful. But I'm awfully glad to be living in Southern CA (it was 85 degrees today). Of course, we have fires and earthquakes and mudslides and everything else ...

I can't imagine my minis in snow like that. I'd probably lose them in a snowdrift.

Thanks for posting the photos.

Great shots Marlene! I wondered how you all fared down there. What was the final total where you are?

We ended up with about 43-45 inches between the two storms. Our 4 stayed tucked up in their barn during the storms. My hubby then used the snow blower to dig out a small area right in front of the barn after both storms. There was an almost 5 foot drift blocking them from the lower area of our smaller paddock/pasture area. He broke through that yesterday and made them a path into the larger area and they seemed pleased to have the extra room.

Here are some shots from my house:

Our barn the morning of the first storm (Feb 6th). We had about 15" at this point.

blizzard5.jpg

A view from the road toward our house, after the first storm on the 6th cleared out.

We rec'd 24" from this storm:

blizzard6.jpg

Hubby taking the first pass with the snowblower the morning of the second storm on the 10th:

blizzard3.jpg

After the storm, views of our road:

blizzard2.jpg

Other direction, notice how high the bank of snow on the right is from the snow plows...it was more than 5ft:

blizzard4.jpg

This one, I'm standing in the road while the hubby is working to clear the driveway:

blizzard1.jpg

We received another 18-20 inches from this storm...but the conditions were much worse because it was colder and the wind was at blizzard conditions.

Now, we wait for it to melt
default_smile.png

Awesome pictures Joy - the first one of your barn looks like it belongs on the front of a card - looks like a painting! Awesome!

Love the snowblower photos - looks like you got quite a bit more than we did up there! You'll be longer to melt than us hahaha

Love the pictures - thanks for sharing - I hope we're another 10 years inbetween any more of these crazy storms!

Latest posts

Back