Markings on Pintos???

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

misty'smom

Reaction score
I had a "Pinto" growing up and he was brown, black and white. Back then I wasn't aware of the different types and different markings there were. Now I have my minis Misty and Josie both are Pintos. Josie my dwarf is mostly a bay with a small patch of white. Misty I think has some really nice markings and is black and white. She has spots within her white areas and I was wondering if there is a specific name for this? This summer as a yearling when she was shed out slick and shiny I think she was really pretty and has nice conformation. I would like to know more about her markings????? Here are a few pictures of Misty........

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Your mare is a tobiano with cat tracks. Cat tracks (the small black spots in her white patches) are often considered to indicate a homozygous tobiano, meaning she would always throw the tobiano gene in her foals.

A very nice example of paw prints, which as others said often mean the horse is homozygous for the tobiano pinto gene and will only produce pintos. You can get hair tested for $25 and find out if you are really curious. We had both our 2013 foals tested and found out they are BOTH homozygous for tobiano, although only one has the paw prints. AMHA put the test results on their registration papers which is very nice to have! That was new this year.

Tobiano with paw prints. My red and white pinto mare has them too. I think paw prints are really cute!

and the black spot on her coronet band is known as an 'ink spot' or ermine spotting. Also once thought to be indicative of homozygous tobiano, however our tested homozygous tobiano often put more leg ink spots and ermine spotting on his heterozygous foals (out of solid colored mares) than he did on his homozygous foals.

Pretty markings on your filly.

We now have several ponies that are tested homozygous for tobiano - and the markings and the spotting are all different. A few have minimal pinto markings. We have several young ponies & foals that still need to be tested. It's really exciting to get the results - even if they aren't "exactly" what you thought they might be.

Last edited by a moderator:
I dont know anything about the markings, just wanted to say I love the markings on your girl, I think she has a striking pattern but then again im partial to the black with white :p

Back