Mares Odd Bag

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Katiean

Reaction score
I have a 12 year old mare that is due soon with her second foal for up. I figured that since she is an older mare things would be kind of like the last foal.

Her first foal she had for us moved all the time. She did not look pregnant. We got her 30 days before she foaled. She bagged a bit each week. It was soft and became full and hard.

This year she does look like she is in foal. The foal hardly moves. She has started to bag. The odd thing about her bag is that though she is bagging, she is not full to her teats and her bag is hard. Even the puffy area in front of her bag is hard. I was out there on Wednesday and then again today and her bag is fuller than it was on Wednesday. We are bringing her home next week and putting her on camera. I am just confused by the hardness of the bag. Any ideas?

It seems the girls this year are really messing around with their udders
default_frusty.gif
on the mare and foal thread we have had several bag up and test ready and not foal for days others have had bags that grow and then shrink
default_thumbdown.gif
I just think that minis have re written the book AGAIN.

I have found that fillies seem to be more active than colts (the opposite to how the are after theyre born !) so that could explain why its not moving much

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree udders have been crazy this year! We had a mare full and waxed up and then her udder shrank back down and its been over a week since she waxed!

I have found that fillies seem to be more active than colts (the opposite to how the are after theyre born !) so that could explain why its not moving much

I so hope this is true! I have had some overly active foals this year!

Her first foal with us was super active and it was a colt. My other mare that we have foaled out (when she was pregnant) it looked like she was going to have an alien the foal was so active. It too was a colt. However, with my "big" horses, my last foal didn't really kick. She would stick her foot out and run it up and down her moms side. But that little filly (after she was born) had some real problems when it came to smarts.
default_yes.gif

I agree, my colts are more active in the mum's tummy than my fillies

The bag that seems to be in front is usually edema. Not much you can do about it.

My Faith had edema in front of her bag this year. Now that she is getting more pasture time/exercise it has gone down so much. I felt bad for her but she seems to have handled it.

Vicky I don't think that has much to do with it cos my girls are out 18 hours a day and they have edema's in front of their udders.

Latest posts

Back