Mares have bellys shaved?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Most breeders shave mares bellies to avoid a foal getting am impaction colic from ingesting his mother's hair as he tries to nurse. Especially foals born in early spring before the mom sheds have a higher risk of this happening. A second advantage is that it makes seeing the foal actually nurse much easier. Im sure others will tell you as well but this is why we shave when we have pregnant mares.

We shave ours for the reasons backwoodsnanny stated.. Preggo mares shed like crazy prior to foaling and many are not shed out slick (especially the ones due early Jan-May), so many of us will shave up around the flank and lower belly to remove the long, shedding hair to prevent the baby from ingesting it when he/she goes hunting for the milk bar and nursing.. We also clip up around the tail head/vulva and butt cheeks of our girls to keep the long hair off the baby during delivery, don't want the mare ingesting the loose hairs either when she goes to clean off the newborn.. Also clipping around the flank makes it a lot easier for me to check udders daily with out all the extra hair in the way..

Yup, ditto on clipping for baby ingesting lots of hair and for seeing the udder easier!
default_yes.gif

Some see no reason for it, but I also side with caution and do it for the same reasons. All it takes it one freak incident to convince you it is a good idea.

Due to the shedding hair that can cause problems for the foal, even causing runny eyes due to irration, and the impaction issues.

We clip the flank and tummies. I think the mare likes it too!

besides what has been mentioned, the newborn's eyes have a thick fluid in them which collects hair like a magnet.

It is easier to limit what can get in the eyes than to have to clean it out of the newborn foal.

I have always shaved my mares bellies until last year when I had a foal get impacted from the hair the mare was shedding on top. So, this year all the mares were totally body clipped. I waited till they were close to their foaling date before clipping the backs and necks, but all are totally clipped now. They are stalled during the night under heat lamps and have blankets if they need them, but they have not needed them as of yet. I would advise anyone that has a mare that is shedding handfulls out of their sides and back to clip away. I also clip the babies long hairs around their mouths. They tend to get sticky colostrum all over the hair and then the loose hair from the momma sticks all over it, yuck! We just have the clippers ready at birth and clip it all away. I think it may help imprint them for later clipping to.
default_wink.png

Latest posts

Back