Mare's Color?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BanditGal

Reaction score
I can't figure out what color my mare, Mocha is. I've thought about silver bay, but she's more of a smokey chocolate color. What do you all think?

Mocha1_1.jpg

Mocha's a good name for her
default_smile.png
She's about mocha colored and very cute
default_wub.png

I think she's a silver dapple (or silver black depending on what term you prefer)... Silver SOMETHING for sure
default_yes.gif

default_biggrin.png
LOL, thanks she definitely has some silver in her. She's the bossmare too. Forgive her potbellied-ness, she's heavy bred. I wish she'd hurry up and have the baby, she's big as a barrel and plus I wanna play with it.
default_wink.png

I wish I knew. She's a grade mare so I have no way of finding out what color her parents were, unfortunately. The gentleman we bought her and two other mares from was in poor health and couldn't remember when they were bred. It can't be too long off, though cause she's HUGE!!!
default_biggrin.png

She sure is cute, can't wait to see what she has! Do you know who she's bred to?

I did some searching of silver diluted horses to see if I could find something that kind of matched up to your girl's color.. Closest thing I found was this guy:

Copper

This guy is a black based horse that carries cream and silver.. Could be a possibility but not knowing what her parents' colors are only way to tell is to see what she throws and have her tested!

Will be watching for a foal announcement soon!
default_wink.png

Thanks
default_biggrin.png
. That's the closest I've seen to a match for her color. I'll be sure to let you all know when she finally gives up and has it. I also have another mare that came with her that's bred to the same stallion. I wasn't with my parents when they bought them but they said the stud was black.

She is the exact same colour as a mare my mother-in-law owned. We tested her for dilute only, which she was positive for. She then produced a cremello foal when put to a buckskin stallion. My guess is that she carried both silver and cream dilute genes, this combination of genes can produce some very strange results.
default_yes.gif

Test your mare for black/red, cream and silver. Actually, why not add agouti, just to be positive, but my guess is she is black based silver cream.

ETA i.e. Smokey Silver Black
default_smile.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Smoky Silver Black- test her then you will know for sure.

Almost positive there is not Agouti.

Latest posts

Back