Mares carrying longer this year???

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Miniv

Reaction score
Just with our own herd, even though we pasture breed........I document heats and breedings on my horsey calendar. It's not just one or two but just about ALL of our girls are or have carried their foals longer than usual this year.

I personally feel that this year's funky weather is partly responsible, but would like to get feedback from you folks.........I've been getting the feeling that I'm not the only one noticing.........

Nope I don't think you are imagining things. I had one mare a couple days over, but the other mare had me on pins and needles for quite awhile. But then the original owners - who knows about records.

But I did speak with my vet and they said many of their equine clients that breed have had mares go way over this year.

I'm with you. My mare (hand bred so we knew) foaled at 371 days!!!! :DOH! And she's 20 years old, generally foals a week before her due date (without fail). So this was a surprise for us for sure!
default_smile.png

My maiden mare went 358 days (I do not own a stallion so I know for sure when she was bred), and there are several other mini breeders in my area who told me to hang in there, that mares were going long this year.

Well this year has been the opposite for me. Mind you I am on the other side of the 'pond'! Nearly all my mares foaled early this year - one by over two weeks (all were hand bred) - those that foaled exactly on their dates were mares that normally carried longer, so I sort of count them as early LOL!

Having said that, I am now closely watching the last two mares who have not actually quite reached their due dates, but have been bagged up and 'ready' for the past 10 days, so again they 'could' have been early, but have now decide to hang on simply to cause me more sleepless nights!

Mares eh? They sure like to keep you guessing :DOH! :DOH!

Anna

Down this end of the da world last season we had a lot go over. Had one that went only a couple of days. But both myself and a friend had mares who went well over (364 days for mine). Vet also said lots were late.

All mine have been ontime and one came 2 weeks early and I am waiting for #7 not due for 2 more weeks.

So everything is good here.
default_yes.gif

Joyce

I have heard many comments on this as well. My one of my maiden mares went 387 days this year and she was only bred once so I know that date is correct. Now I am waiting on a mare that started bagging up 2 months ago and she is at day 332 so I hope she doesn't hold out much longer. What gestation do you all calculate at? 340? 330? Just curious if everyone uses the same calculation for due dates? That could really change things if everyone used different gestations.

All of my mares went a week or two ahead of date except one. She foaled two days after expected date. Who knows!
default_wacko.png

OMG YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

All of our mares exceeded their "normal" gestations. Our Orion/Buckeroo mare usually carries between 285-304 (never more than 304). This year she went 352 days! She had a colt that was well worth waiting for but that was a very long foal watch!

So yes, here on Long Island, NY, the mares are cooking those babies a lot longer than usual.

Well, one maiden went 347, the other went 368! And my experienced mare only went 32...7 I think it was

Jessi

My mares all seem to be hanging onto them for quite a while. One went 371, another 354 and the other mare 362. A couple left and they still have 'em inside.

Nope. we do all hand breeding and every mare so far has been early, as much as five weeks early. We have two more to go and both of them look like they may be early too.

Back