Mare's bagging up

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PaintedMeadows

Reaction score
What is the longest any of you have had a mare bag up before foaling? My girl started almost 2 months ago but has had a fairly large bag for almost 2 weeks but her nipples haven't filled out yet. She is 33 days today and a maiden. I'm curious how long they can hold out when they have a bag?

My maiden started bagging up Feb 15 and had a beautiful filly on April 13. The last 2-3 days it got so big it looked like a balloon and the day she foaled she had wax 1/2 long and had milk running down her legs 2 hours before foaling.

Marsha

What is the longest any of you have had a mare bag up before foaling? My girl started almost 2 months ago but has had a fairly large bag for almost 2 weeks but her nipples haven't filled out yet. She is 33 days today and a maiden. I'm curious how long they can hold out when they have a bag?

As long as they want to.
default_wacko.png

My last two mares to foal are at 352 days (maiden) and 353 days (has had one foal before). These two are JUST NOW starting to bag up.
default_rolleyes.gif

I've been wondering how long mares can hold out when they DON'T have a bag. Maybe I'll find out sometime this year.
default_unsure.png

Last year my maiden mare went 387 days but she didn't get a bag till 2 weeks before but never did get a full bag until she foaled but she still got wax and dripping milk. Even though her bag wasn't full. My maiden mare this year has a bag twice as big as my maiden's last year but still no foal. I am wondering how much longer this can go on. I'm so tired from watching her.
default_wacko.png

That is going to be something that will vary i think. I have a mare that is due April 16th, and she has NO bag (she is in foal). Then, i have a mare that has had a huge bag since early March and was due April 20th but apparently she is decided to hold on to that baby a bit longer...thinking she will foal sometime this week but will see.

I posted this same topic almost last month. I got so tired and frustrated at waiting and guessing, I decided to try the milk strip test for the first time. IT WAS RIGHT ON THE MONEY!
default_new_shocked.gif
It has been very accurate now for the 3 times I tried it. One of the mares did not even have that much of a bag before she foaled, but when the calcium tests high and the pH low, you know its time!
default_wink.png

I have a maiden mare due the middle of May and she has been bagged for a good month and a half. The bag keeps getting bigger and bigger. I can also tell the foal is just starting to get into position.
default_saludando.gif

How can you tell they are getting into position besides the V. My mare is quite tucked up and doesn't really look all that pregnant from the side. Today I saw some foal movement but it was weird movement. Not really a bouncing or kicking type movement. She is very centered from behind and has been for some time. She doesn't look like any of my mares have in the past so I am boggled as to when she might foal. lol

My mare Pixie started getting her bag about 290 days and she foaled at 323 days. I also have a mare-Sahara who started her bag about 2 weeks ago-300 days-and is now 315 days..her bag gets a little bigger each day or so and she got clear yellow fluid last week. She has had one foal before and was carrying high and wide until this last few days, now she is more centered and a little lower. I have no foaling history on her so WHO KNOWS when she will foal?!?
default_wacko.png

I can't get milk yet though.
default_sad.png

Neither of mine have any milk either. Ok, not so surprising from a maiden mare, but the other one? Come on! I swear that they are planning on going for a world's record. :DOH!

And why, when my mares so rarely go so long, are TWO of them waiting and waiting and waiting? I'm beginning to suspect a conspiracy.
default_rolleyes.gif

Maybe they just really like all of the attention!
default_laugh.png
These mares can drive us crazy if we let them!! My mares bag is going backwards so I am extra frustrated. I wonder if our sudden bought of really cold weather is to blame. We are back up to warmer temps today so we will see. I'm heading out to take new pictures in a few minutes.

Back