Mares and hormones

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shortpig

Reaction score
Latest update on Duckie's training. Figured I should post even if it started out rougher than normal.

We have to be prepared for those occasions with a mare in heat. As I told Dorothy how cute that Duckie is now Twitterpated with her beautiful Bandito. I've always loved that word.

Nothing starts a day off right like a hormonal mare, who does a good job in spite of it. I thought I was in real trouble today when I turned all the mares out and Duckie started screaming and pacing around her stall. I decided I'd better drive her first rather than have her get herself all in a tizzy. She couldn't stand still to save herself, but we got harness on and with a new bit, a french snaffle this time. I hitched her and we jigged our way to the field. Notice I said "Jigged", not walked. But I am persistent so we didn't trot till we could get at least part of a lap each direction at a true walk. Then we went on to the trot. First attempts were stiff, quick and with her head in the air, but once she warmed down and settled into her work, she rounded, softened and was a very, very nice drive. Much better to the left than to the right, but that's normal. We walked some more and it was with some reaching down and totally loose and relaxed. Then more trot work, an attempt at the back (we got it, but it wasn't too pretty) and we were done. It is the first time she has really sweated so I checked the clock and we were enjoying ourselves so much that we were out much longer than normal, and truly working. I turned her out after her treat, of course, and she immediately ran to the fence line where she could see Bandito and threw her tail over her back. Hmmmm!

Oh how I hate hormonal attitudes. LOL! I love a driving horse with attitude, but not THAT kind. My very best driving mare can be the ultimate WITCH when in heat...drives me crazy.

LOL!

My Ghostie never acts different when in heat, the only way I can tell is she stops for a pee brake every 2 minutes. Cleaning my breeching off afterwords is really fun!
default_rolleyes.gif

Wanna trade?
default_biggrin.png
default_laugh.png

My Crackers is worse than any stallion I've ever had, she has been known to go absolutely bonkers...last year I even thought seriously about spaying her, but have decided to just train the younger one, and leave the witch at home.

When you have a mare that is fun to drive when not in heat try Mare Magic. It really does work to calm them naturally. You would be surprised in the difference and it doesn't take much especially for a miniature mare. My daughter had her big mares on it and it worked wonders. Worth the try to be able to continue enjoying your favorite driving horse.

default_laugh.png
Tried Magic Mare, didn't do anything, although I LOVED the smell of it. Last year she was so bad we even resorted to shots, thinking perhaps it was a cystic ovary...but that didn't work either.

She was NEVER like this as a young mare, always a "fireCRACKER", but in a good way. Now she is just too unpredictable to rely upon. I am thinking she must be going through some kind of "midlife-crisis"?
default_no.gif
default_sad.png

BTW, we cannot get Magic Mare here in Canada anymore...I had a heck of a time finding some last year. Surte wish it HAD eworked.

Latest posts

Back