mares and foals

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lucky lodge

Reaction score
default_saludando.gif
ok ive got 2 mares that have allways been paddock togther from when thay were babys.as thay are half sisters but when thay foaled thay were seperate so thay both have a foal at foot

but are still paddock next to each other..i would like to put them all togther in 1 big paddock..do you think thay will be ok togther

or will thay fight or should i leave them were thay are ????????????????

I would put them together as the foals need to learn to interact, I would imagine that the mares will be happy to have some peace whilst the foals play together.

default_saludando.gif
thanks eagle,was just a bit worried that the mares might hurt each others foals..

We actually introduced a brand new mare (with foal) to another mare and foal last year so that the foals could play together. The foals were about a month old but the mare had not been here long. Because the mares didn't know each other (except through the fence) we let them meet first on leads, while the foals also met. The foals were SO excited, and the mares were fine. If you have any concerns, you might try introducing them with the mares on leads, but I bet they will be thrilled to have "adult" company! I assume the foals are at least a couple of weeks old??

Last edited by a moderator:
default_saludando.gif
thanks,,1 foal is about 6 weeks old and the other foal is 2 weeks old.. there both about the same height

Put them together, and ENJOY the added extra JOY you will have watching these little ones play together!!!!
default_wub.png
I know NOTHING about properly introducing, but having watched foals (and calves) play together while driving by other people's pastures, it's the most delightful thing to watch the little ones frolicking
default_wub.png

default_no.gif
:No-Sad
default_no.gif
it didnt work poor little de-ago got pinned in the corner and saffire kicked the crap out of him

thank god he,s ok......so i wont be putting them toghter....
default_no.gif
default_no.gif

Oh Jenny, I am so sorry, I hope he is o.k. It is unusual for a mare to behave this way
no.gif

default_saludando.gif
she was very nasty,,poor de-agoe didnt no were to run, and mum dusty didnt give a crap ...

default_sad.png
:(
default_sad.png

To be on the safe side let each mare with foal have a day alone in the new paddock to learn where the fences and any obstacles are. And I assume we are talking about a big paddock of 2 acres or more? Then let all 4 go out together but stay to watch and be ready to take charge if something gets out of hand.

The biggest problem I have seen when putting strange mares and foals together is the babys wanting to meet each other or one foal wanting to meet the new mare so the mare gets protective and kicks at the strange foal.

Only rarely have I had mares kick at each other, but it has happened when one mare's foal wants to meet another's and somebody objects so one mare tries to drive the other off. I usually wait till my foals are good and strong and know which mare is their mother to put them back into the herd.

Since your mares are good friends from the past it should go smoothly.

Is De-ago the older of the two foals? If so, I'm thinking that with the other foal being only 2 weeks old it was a bit soon to put them together. Some mares are still extremely protective of their babies at the age of 2 weeks, and that could be why the mare put the boots to De-ago so badly. If you had waited until the other foal was at least 3 weeks old, perhaps 4 weeks, it might have gone much better. (I find that my mares start letting their foals have a little more independence starting at 3-4 weeks, so are less likely to be overprotective if another mare/foal is introduced to the paddock.

Also--it can depend on how large the paddock is. If it's a good sized area it will go better than if it's a little 100 x 100' corral.

I personally have had no problem putting any mares with foal at foot back into the herd as the top dog will not allow any bad behaviour and will protect the new ones in for at least a few days. The top dog is not my best looking horse but she is worth her weight in gold for the way she keeps everyone in line, she will NOT allow any bad behaviour from anyone but I have never seen her kick or bite, she rules with her ears and body language. I am very lucky to have found this mare
wub.gif
This year a mare I had sold pregnant came back to be covered with her filly on foot, I put her in a field alone near the girls but they all called for her for days so I put her in the group, Miss Top dog followed her around and would turn and glare at anyone who even looked interested in saying hello
laugh.gif
the others soon got fed up with the new toy and within a week it was like she had never left.

Jenny perhaps you could let the foals play together in a week or so whilst you and a friend hold the mums, if you do it daily maybe Saffire will be less aggressive.

default_saludando.gif
i was really shocked that saffire did that she not normally an agresive mare..but now shes a mum

shes very protective...it would have been nice to have them all together ,,,not to be,,
default_no.gif

I was told today of a "big" mare who together with her 6 week old foal were put in a paddock with another mare with foal of similar age. The two mares have known each other for years but had been separated when foaling. It appears the second mare bailed the other foal in a corner of the paddock, apparently the foal tried to get away and ended up with his head caught between the gate and gate post and broke his neck.

The two mares were put in large paddock, were paddock mates before their foals were born and their reintroduction was supervised and all appeared well. Seems to me the risk of allowing the foals and mares companionship in a herd environment is one that you have to decide for yourself if it's worth taking. You can be careful and plan and prepare and think you've covered all eventualities but often something out the blue will happen. I don't think the owner of these two mares could have done more to ensure a safe outcome - sadly that wasn't the case. Clearly, a different scenario if there is aggro at the introduction or soon after - then you clearly make different decisions.

I live near an area well known for thoroughbred stud farms and driving past at this time of the year I see herds of mares and foals grazing together in the same paddock. Maybe in a bigger herd environment it is easier to get away from a bully and form alliances...

Latest posts

Back