Mare with very little udder

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sue_C.

Reaction score
I KNOW it has been talked about numerous times, and have been trying to research old posts about this, but I keep getting a "flood/error" or whatever...so am posting to ask rather than throw the computer through the window. :arg! :arg! :arg!

I think it starts with a "D"? I don't think there is going to be a problem, but figured it best to know, so my friend will be able to talk to the vet about it if necessary. She has a maiden mare who is due the 7th April, (If she took on first breeding, although she showed heat, and accepted stallion on a second cycle) and she is not bagging up very much, yet showing many other signs of a possible foaling. I have had maidens bag up as they foal, but it is best to be prepared, right?
default_yes.gif

I used Equidone this year on two mares here and it was a life saver. Literally. If I had used it on the first mare I had foal in January, I probably could have saved myself hundreds of dollars in vet bills and plasma transfusions.

I had two more mares with no udder development whatsoever.

One I started on Equidone at 320 days gestation and she started bagging up and foaled at 340 days. Another I started on Equidone at 330 days gestation as she also had no udder development and she bagged up and foaled 11 days later at 341 days.

How many days in foal is the mare? If needed, she should be able to get Equidone from her vet.

Last edited by a moderator:
I used Equidone this year on two mares here and it was a life saver. Literally. If I had used it on the first mare I had foal in January, I probably could have saved myself hundreds of dollars in vet bills and plasma transfusions.
I had two more mares with no udder development whatsoever.

One I started on Equidone at 320 days gestation and she started bagging up and foaled at 340 days. Another I started on Equidone at 330 days gestation as she also had no udder development and she bagged up and foaled 11 days later at 341 days.

How many days in foal is the mare? If needed, she should be able to get Equidone from her vet.
Is this a prescription item?

Is this a prescription item?
Yes, it is. You can either purchase it from your vet, or if they don't carry it, they could write you a prescription for it. It is not a medication to be taken lightly, but in the right situation, it's a real life saver.

I amy sound really stupid here, But when did Donperidone become RX? I have bought it with out for years, with out. Just wondering. I have a tube from last year in the fridge.

Ellen, if you can tell me where I can get Equidone without a prescription, I'd like to know. I've been buying it from a local equine hospital, but if I can find it for less $$$, that would be a big help! I can't find it on the internet without a prescription.

Just be very careful with Oxytocin after foaling......
Don't just put out a warning...explain it.
default_unsure.png
I have never used it, and don't want to be the one to recommend it if there are problems associated with it...without giving the heads-up to the potential user.

Back