Mare was bred, acts like she's cycling

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CrescentMinis

Reaction score
I'm just asking opinions because one of my mares is out for breeding, and I was talking to the stallion owner today. They were hand bred on 3 alternating days when she cycled in early June, yet ever since, the mare acts like she keeps coming back in heat. The stallion owner (I'm not there so I hope I am retelling the events correctly) says she has then attempted to breed them again on several of these cycles, presuming the mare didn't catch in June. Soon as they are together, the mare only wants to kick the stuffing out of the stallion. Also, they did spend a short amount of time together in the same pasture and he kept a respectable distance. Which makes us think she's pregnant.

Is it unusual for mares to act this way if they are indeed pregnant? The owner of the stallion has been in the mini world for many years and sounded as if she didn't know quite what to make of it. There is a vet coming out to that farm in 2 weeks and she'll be preg checked then. I'm looking for input so I can ask the right questions I guess.

Last edited by a moderator:
One word --- HORMONES.

I'm glad you're getting the vet to do a preg-check. I bet she's pregnant. Keep us posted!

Latest posts

Back