Mare very due...need experienced opinion

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vickie gee

Reaction score
This morning my first cousin was killed in a tragic accident...his motorcycle crashed and went up under a diesel truck. His parents, wife, one of his children and the grandkids all live about 35 minutes from me. I would like to get out there to be with them this afternoon briefly. I really am anxious about leaving my mare who is due. My husband is not a horse person but he will be in from work any minute now and can keep an eye on her and I will have my cell phone with me. I was just wondering how close we are to foaling in expert opionions. She had at least 3 prior healthy foalings prior to me purchasing her. Last one in 2007. She was pasture bred. My stallions' first. On July 31 she was ultrasounded and the doc said she was "more than 3 months". That would put her at 328 days MINIMUM . She started bagging up Monday. She now has a good sized bag. Nipples keep switching from slightly inward to straight down. No milk. No wax. But she no longer will stand and let me touch. Usually steps away politely. Vulva has gone totally relaxed. Even the tip has in the last day. She stands all the time. Last night I saw her on the monitor actually lay down for a few minutes. Once she rolled. Belly is dropped and pointed. Booty is smushy. Previous owner could not describe "her usual." Would it be very likely she could start labor in the next couple of hours? I do not intend to leave her at all this evening and I am constantly watching her on one of the two monitors in the house or I am outside with the animals. I hate to chance this. But this is family and unexpected and very traumatic. I grew up around this cousin and his sister and his dad (my uncle) is not in good health at all. I know I have to get to family today. Do you think the "window of time" aka NOW is safe. I am getting dressed and just heard my husband drive in. Will check back right before I leave. Sorry to ramble but this is stressing me. Please, some old pros tell me how close we might be to foaling today. I will check forum before I head out. Thanks.

Only thing I could think of is have your husband call the vet if anything comes up. Nature usually takes its course. Family is family. There is a good chance she will be ok and may have the foal before you leave. Good luck. Sorry to hear about your cousin. Very sad. Prayers to you and your family.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm so sorry for your loss and the situation you're dealing with.

To answer your question, your mare does sound close. And yes, there is a gamble she may foal. However, if she's had foals before and isn't giving milk yet, you may have a window of time to play with too.

I would leave your husband with strict instructions on what to watch for. I would also make sure that he knows about dousing the foal's navel and drying the baby with towels. If it's a normal birth, hopefully you will be home to at least follow up with the other things that need to be done after that.

And lastly, I would have a talk with your mare and tell her to hold on til you get back! (Believe it or not, I've done that and it worked!)

Good luck and God bless.

Last edited by a moderator:
Vickie, I'm so sorry!
default_sad.png
My thoughts are with you and your family.

I agree with everything miniV said!

I'm so sorry for your loss and the situation you're dealing with.
To answer your question, your mare does sound close. And yes, there is a gamble she may foal. However, if she's had foals before and isn't giving milk yet, you may have a window of time to play with too.

I would leave your husband with strict instructions on what to watch for. I would also make sure that he knows about dousing the foal's navel and drying the baby with towels. If it's a normal birth, hopefully you will be home to at least follow up with the other things that need to be done after that.

And lastly, I would have a talk with your mare and tell her to hold on til you get back! (Believe it or not, I've done that and it worked!)

Good luck and God bless.
Thanks. I am leaving now and should only be gone 2-3 hours . Have husband armed with all supplies and a foal blanket.

I'm so sorry about your cousin...what a terrible thing for all of you.

Your mare sounds awfully close, but I'd ditto what's already been said. You have to go, leave your husband with good instructions and the vets phone number. She's an experienced broodmare so you hopefully will be just fine leaving her for a few hours.

Jan

What a terrible tragedy! I just wanted to send my sympathy and prayers to you and his family.

I'm sure your mare will either wait for you or give birth happily without even worrying your hubby - the angels will be taking care of her under thesse tragic circumstances.

Thinking of you.

Anna

Give him a quick red bag lesson!!
That was what I wanted to add, along with sincere sympathies. I'm going to be going over red bag again with H this evening or tomorrow. Let him know also what to do if he has to help pull the baby (to only do so with the contractions). What to do for hip lock, also (I thnk for that, push back in a little, then flip the baby so it's coming out feet to the sky... ML has posted about this a few years ago). It can be really hard helping a foal find where to nurse, especially w/o another helper. We've used syrup (kayo or pancake) on the udder and give baby a taste of it. That was H's idea a couple years ago and now all the babies smell like syrup when the vet comes to give them their check up, IgG, etc.
default_smile.png

Whew! I made it back after visiting with all the relatives and large crowd of friends (my how we have all changed since our graduations in the 70's). Thanks for all the condolences. My cousin's wife is a strong Christian woman but so definitely not independent. Scared to be home alone and or even walk out to her car after dark. Her inlaws, son, and grandbabies all live on the same plot of land so at least she will not be isolated. The other vehicle was a gravel truck and is owned by family friends. This was so unfortunate and sad. He was a very quiet, laid back, and sweet guy. Never talked about other people or complained much about anything.

Thank you all for the advise. The mare is fine and has been fed. I am adding a tiny bit of pancake syrup to the barn stash Jill. Headed back out there now to do poop patrol. And I did note that her bag is even larger than earlier today and feels harder than what it did earlier as well. Hubby was sure glad to see me. I appreciate you all.

I am so sorry for your loss.
default_no.gif
My husband rides his motorcycle in better weather to work and I worry about him.

On a happier note, any news today on a foal?

Barb

I'm so sorry to hear of your loss.
default_no.gif
I'm glad you made it home for your mare. I hate having to leave my hubby in charge though he has stepped up to the plate and done really well.

I tried that with Dream yesterday when I had to go to work. She looked up at me with her big soft eyes and even bobbed her head up and down....now I think she may have been giving me the finger!
default_unsure.png

So very sorry about the fatal accident. My sympathy to you and your entire family.

Mares generally like to watch the dust as you leave the driveway so that they can get busy with their foaling
default_laugh.png

I've watched for days, only to leave for a fast 20 minutes and there was a foal when I got back
default_new_shocked.gif

My suggestion, if you need to leave for a short time and are concerned about the "right now" aspect -- leave a radio playing in her barn, on a decent rock & roll type station, preferably with a frequent DJ talking. They like privacy and this unusual noise often makes them think they have strangers around. They CAN hold off!!!!!!!!!!

I'm sorry you lost your cousin. What a terrible position this has put you in. To feel such sadness and then to have your mare so close to foaling. I hope your mare foals with no problems and you will be able to mourn for your cousing but find the time to enjoy your new foal.

Please keep us informed on how you are doing. I know your emotions must be just flip flopping at this point.

Marie

So very sorry about the fatal accident. My sympathy to you and your entire family.

Mares generally like to watch the dust as you leave the driveway so that they can get busy with their foaling
default_laugh.png

I've watched for days, only to leave for a fast 20 minutes and there was a foal when I got back
default_new_shocked.gif

My suggestion, if you need to leave for a short time and are concerned about the "right now" aspect -- leave a radio playing in her barn, on a decent rock & roll type station, preferably with a frequent DJ talking. They like privacy and this unusual noise often makes them think they have strangers around. They CAN hold off!!!!!!!!!!

default_unsure.png
So do you think she would prefer a book on CD with lots of characters' voices. Family visitation is this evening and funeral is tomorrow afternoon. Still no baby.
default_impatient.jpg

Latest posts

Back