Mare stare under the stars with Diamond

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Intexas2stay

Reaction score
I am clueless to what this looks like. Could someone please explain this so I know what to look for?

Actually it is 'slab' sided and it happens when a mare is very close to foaling. During pregnancy a mare's tummy gets bigger and wider as time goes on. As she gets very close to foaling, the foal should 'drop' down into the delivery position and if you look at the mare from the side or the back, it will appear that she has suddenly 'grown' a large lower bulge to her tummy from the foal's new position, which then makes the area in front of her hips look 'empty' and flat - hence 'slab' sided.

I dont have any pictures of my own to show you as my mares are always on the tubby (fat!) side and therefore dont really show any difference - although I can feel it! I'm sure plenty of the other Aunties here will have pictures they can post for you. But look carefully at the pictures because a slab sided mare will still have plenty of 'flesh' on her topline/back and should not be confused with a mare who can have a similar look but is undernourished or short of groceries (she will not be carrying the weight on her topline either).

Hope this helps a little.
default_yes.gif

Try checking on Amy's thread about Cinnamon - she's recently posted some pictures that might help you - the one from the rear really shows how much the foal has dropped.

There are also some helpful photos and videos on the pinned Foaling Video thread. Not the actual foaling videos but there is link that Eagle posted which is fantastic. That one also shows how to fix a simple dystocia where one leg is back. There is also a series of photos that JAde10 posted that shows body and udder changes. Tons of useful info on that thread and of course the foaling videos themselves are helpful.

See, told you I was clueless! Lol

Thanks Anna, it helps seeing photos.

Diamond sends her love to all of her Aunties!

Target, thanks for pointing out Jade10's wonderful photos. As a first timer, I feel that it shows exactly what I needed to see. I have watched several of the videos over last few months. And I still don't feel prepared. :eek:

((((HUGS)))) from us for Diamond.
default_yes.gif

How about a pic or two....................please!

Ask as many questions as you want as we are only too willing to help
default_smile.png
Oh yes, pics would be great.

You're in the right place, as we are all here to help you with anything you ask!

Can't wait to see some pictures!

As much as I wish I could post photos for everyone (many times really needed to as well) I only have a tablet and can not figure out how to
default_sad.png

I do have a question about washing her udders. When should I do this and what with? Shes good about being messed with there, shes not maiden and was bred by a breeder for her past foals, so I am sure she is expecting it, maybe even wanting it at this point.

That, I can do! Lol Its just posting photos to the forum that I haven't been able to figure out.

You can send the photos via email to one of us, and we can post them for you, if you'd like.

My email is: [email protected] and I'd be happy to post them. I'm at work during the day, so I would post them after work.

Thanks Diane, I am at the airport and will be away for a few days
default_sad.png

You gals are the best!!!! My email is nimblefish so you can look out for them.

I bet you could use a drop of mild soap and water but I just use a gentle setting on my hose (plain water ) w/sponge. Peanut always loved it and would actually spread or legs. Holly couldnt care less as long as she had her hay. There maybe reasons you should not clean ( in the wild, horses wouldnt ) but if you are gentle and they dont mind I see no reason not too. Maybe near the end they may be sensitive. The experts will jump in and tell you their thoughts I hope.

Yes I hope so too. When I was feeling her I noticed shes really cruddy up in there. Cant be comfy. Yuck!

I would just use a warm damp cloth to wipe her udders with, making sure that you also get right up into the gap between the two halves - most mares like to feel clean and can get really quite uncomfortable with the dirt that can collect.

How far along is Diamond - and please do send your pics to Diane, we'd love to share in her progress.
default_yes.gif

The first is a collection of 3 in one. That one is progressive over 8 weeks. To see the belly dropping. And some pretty shots (gotta brag about my pretty girl ;)

diamondcompare.jpg

1366244418381.jpg

diamondfancy.jpg

Latest posts

Back