Mare Scanned infoal showing strong signs of heat

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BM Miniatures

Reaction score
Hi all,

I recently had my mare externally scanned on the 6th Nov - approx 60 days along in her pregnancy. The scanner was sure he saw the fetus, even saw which side the head was etc.

About 2 weeks ago i noticed her acting like a stallion and mounting another in season mare and now yesturday i noticed her showing STRONG signs of heat, so strong even when I approached her she starting squatting and urinating for me??? She showed this strongly with the cycle I had bred her on.. Also any noise from the stallions which are a paddock or two away, she will be grazing and suddenly squat and urinate at the sound of them! Im pretty sure she would allow the stallion to breed her if given the chance...

I am now very confused that the scanner may have gotten it wrong(he is not a vet but is a stock scanner - mainly sheep) He unforunatly can't come back for a couple of weeks to rescan her due to being away....

Anyone else have a mare do this and still get a healthy foal?

I've herd of this happening many times. Minis can and have been bred and come back in heat. Still in 11+months, producing a lovely healthy foal.

Not a mini mare, but my AQHA mare showed to everything around when she was pregnant with her first foal. I had her rescanned once, still pregnant, so we went along as if she were pregnant, despite her showing to everything around, and at almost a year she had a healthy filly. Some seem to be more affected by pregnancy hormones, and react like they are in heat.

I bought a grade riding mare (Sugar) a few years ago, was not supposed to be exposed to a stallion. Sugar came in heat like clock work. I went on a trail ride (Sugar called, peed, and generly was a hussy) and everybody said she was either very wormy or pregant. When I got home 2 days later I took her to the vet to be checked, very very pregant and no worms. 2 months later she had a pretty sorrel filly.

Rabbit's line all come back into season for three months- and will take service too!!!

It is unusual but seems to be hereditary- I learned to listen to the stallion as Rabbit would not breed a mare that was "set" and a lot of stallions won't either. I think possibly they are all ovulating in the other horn (well, obviously they are as they can't ovulate in the pregnant side ) and after around three months the hormones are high enough to stop the ovulation. Since this is a maiden I would have her scanned again if you can just for you peace of mind- the scanner should be looking for a heart beat, btw, not a foetus- you can be fooled by loads of things, including bits of intestine, but a heart beat is unmistakable.

Thanks all,

Since I can't get the scanner back for a couple weeks I have ordered a pregnamare test, hopefully this will give me an idea
default_smile.png
Will post results when I get them

Unfortunately, every option is possible.

Pregnant mares can still show signs of heat. UItrasonographer could be wrong.

Mare could have aborted.

Dr. Taylor

I had a mare show signs of heat the whole 11 mos until she foaled a filly years ago it was so weird.

Back