mare infoal?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crazyponies

Reaction score
hi i'm new on here

i have a miniature mare who is in foal we think shes due end of june early july,i have no def dates from her previous owner only that the stallion was running with her from end of july till sept last year, but she is in heat alot at the minute.

our stallion is running in next paddock.

is this normal with the minis?

i have known the bigger horses show a season if they were near a stallion before.

she is happy and a nice size, she is a maiden mare, but shes not huge either, i'm very confused with her and may well take her back to vets to get her checked.

any advice happily received

Are you sure she is bred? While some people report bred mares acting like they are in heat the usual reason for it is that they are not bred. I have been involved with horses (and other livestock) for many years and I have been fooled more than once into believing a mare is bred that is not. One year I had a maiden mare who grew rounder and rounder, developed and udder and failed to show heat in the spring. When she should have been due to foal her 'pregnancy' just continued and finally about a month past her due date, her udder shrank, her belly deflated and she showed obvious signs of being in heat. LOL, I can tell you I felt pretty foolish for all the time I'd spent preparing for the foaling. That was the most extreme case but there have been other times when I questioned if a mare was open. If you have the choice I would advise having her rechecked to see if she is indeed bred.

edited to add-- Welcome to THE forum for mini horse people. You will find a lot of experience here and the fun of sharing our mutual love of the little ones
default_yes.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Are you sure she is bred? While some people report bred mares acting like they are in heat the usual reason for it is that they are not bred. I have been involved with horses (and other livestock) for many years and I have been fooled more than once into believing a mare is bred that is not.
On the other hand, I had a QH mare that was in foal from the first breeding. We did not have her vet checked and so they would teas her she showed ready and they bred her for 4 months. They were getting ready to breed her again and a vet was out for someoelse'sses mare and we had him palpate her. His question to us was "why do you think this mare is not pregnant?" We told him she kept teasing and showing heat and was breeding. He told us she was about 4 months pregnant and "we could stop breeding her now". You said you just got this mare? It could be the new stud and she really really likes him or she could be open. I would keep her away from him until next spring just to be safe. We have a mini mare that the only way you can tell she is pregnant is the foal movement. This was a few years ago and we got her on May 17th and she foaled on June 17th. What is really funny is the next mare we got foaled on July 17th. The 17th just seems to be kind of magic date for us.

Yes, Katiean, I am certainly not saying she isn't bred because she acts in heat. What I am saying is if she has the option to do so, get her checked to reconfirm the pregnancy because that will tell her which situation she is dealing with, a pregnant mare who shows heat or an open mare that does.

Latest posts

Back