mare foaling now

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Its out, but wonder if it would have got out of the sac?
default_wub.png

Its a Filly, so glad to see everything went OK
default_wink.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Is it just me, or does the foal seem a little "slow"?
default_unsure.png

Thanks for posting the link. I was able to watch. Doesn't matter how many times you see a birthing, its always a little miracle!

Gosh she is in the next town over

I missed the delivery by just a couple of secs. but I have a couple of ??'s

Is it normal for the mare to be up and down so much after foaling?

If the foal is up and wanting to nurse would you try to coax mom to stand up or will she just stand when she's good and ready

Thanks for helping a newbie!!

Shouldn't she have passed the placenta by now? She is really uncomfortable.

OOPS! There it went.

Last edited by a moderator:
Gosh she is in the next town overI missed the delivery by just a couple of secs. but I have a couple of ??'s

Is it normal for the mare to be up and down so much after foaling?

If the foal is up and wanting to nurse would you try to coax mom to stand up or will she just stand when she's good and ready

Thanks for helping a newbie!!
The mare is still contracting/cramping in order to pass the placenta, many will go up and down between cramps and tending to the foal, then you have some mares that are more tolerant of the pain and may not lay down again..

With my girls i do try to get the foal to nurse as soon as possible and will try to get the mare to stand in order for the foal to nurse, the foal nursing it stimulates the release of oxytocin (which is also what causes contractions), so with the foal nursing more oxytocin is released which will also help with the contractions to expel the placenta.

Thanks, I hadnt realized the placenta ( didnt see the actual birth ) wasnt passed so that makes sense.

So many things I need to be aware of before May.

Congrats to Kim and Fancy. Kim has been waiting a long time for this baby. I didn't get to see her born, but have been watching this morning on cam.

Kim - now you can concentrate on getting ready for the Sarasota show!!!!

Barbie

Thanks you all! I HAVE been waiting for this foal for a VERY long time! Thought her due date was May 2009.....NOT!! Found a written last breed date of 3/15/09 several weeks ago that I evidently totally forgot about which made perfect since as to why this baby would not get born, LOL!! Marestare people were very patient and kept watch over her anyway, thanks guys!!!

Mom is very protective so if you see her try to attack on camera, don't laught too hard!!
default_laugh.png

Here she is trying so hard not to lay down to sleep....but she did eventually

FancyFilly2-7-10sleepy.jpg

FancyFilly2-7-10.jpg

NOW I NEED A NAME!!!!! Dad is Thousand Oaks Salutes Sugar Buck, Mom is Four Pines Strike My Fancy

Back