Mare due to foal has ORANGE milk

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brookhaven

Reaction score
I've got a mare that is due to foal (approximately 330 days). She has a bag, is an experienced mare and she has milk. I use a refractometer to test the milk and tonight is the first time I've tested with her. The milk tested Fair, but it is opaque and ORANGE
default_new_shocked.gif
, maybe somewhat sticky. I've never seen orange milk! Just wondering if any of you have and what might be causing it.

Oh, she is on Marestare at the following link and is on Cam 1

brookhaven cam

THANKS!

Last edited by a moderator:
This is I think called collastrum, Im not shure of the spelling but its normal. It carrys the nutriats and antibodys from mom to the foal. we used to keep some around to feed calfs on the dairy. it really helps give the little guys a good start. once we had milked a cow and put it into the refrigerator to cool before seperating it into smaller containers to be frozen, my sister found it and thinking it was fresh orange juice she poured a big glass . after the first drink she found our mom and told her that she thought the OJ had gone bad. that was 40 yrs ago and it still brings a smile to my face thinking about it now!!! DR.

I agree a lot of times people say it looks like yellow wax

No, this is different from colostrum it is more the color of a Dreamsicle! (For lack of a better description.) I've foaled a lot of mares and never seen this "color" before and it may mean absolutely nothing, I just wondered if any one else has seen this...

Sounds like there is a bit of blood in the mixture.. Maybe best to take some to your vet and have it checked out.

Could be just a small blood vessel. but also maybe infection..

Thanks. I sort of thought the blood vessel thing too. I will check it again and see if I can get enough to take to the vet.

Back