Mare Due Dates

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ClickMini

Reaction score
With my full-size horses I calculated to 340 days, the standard. I have foaled out 3 of my own mini mares, one went at day 310 and two had theirs at day 325. I always see people on this forum saying my mare is due on such and such day, I am never sure how they are figuring the date. Are you calculating to 340 to get your date or some other #? I have to say I now calculate to day 325 (not that I am not monitoring long before that), based on my extremely limited experience. Let me know your method!

I calculate from the last day of cover (assuming she was covered, say, three times, every other day) for 330 days. My mare foaled this year at 321 from the last day of cover.

Almost all of my mares stick to about 330 days from last day of cover (except this year-so far all but one have gone at least 2 weeks past that) so that's what I go by. I always print of a sheet with each mares name and put down dates of how far along they are. I usually do 280, 300, 320, 330, and then 350.

Last edited by a moderator:
A due date of 330 here would have missed all but 3 foals here over the years. I use 300 days as the guide. We have had healthy, full term foals born at 296 days... but the majority are between 310 and 325. The bay colt that arrived on Wednesday night was at 319 days. The longest gestation here has been 335 days.
default_yes.gif

I have had my mare pagered and under camera since 300 days, also testing milk with the strips and also just feeling it. I noticed a very distinct change in my mare's milk within hours of their foaling...the interesting thing to me was that right up until then it had been just slimy, clear and drying to a tackiness. Once it came out thick and sticky like honey, it was right away!

My mares foal from 320-330 but my mini shetland goes 345-350.

Once it came out thick and sticky like honey, it was right away!
Some mares will not even show that - the thick colostrum may come down during foaling or right after. If only the mares had all read the book and knew what they were "supposed" to do...
default_laugh.png

My mare foaled at day 305, a nice healthy filly.

Dont use my method as it obviously does not work LOL

I use a 'due date' of 11 months calculated from the last day of breeding. However, that is an arbitrary number as mares can foal considerably longer or shorter than that date. What is important, is the number of days gestation they actually are. That number will determine whether you have premature udder development that needs treatment, whether a foal is born premature, etc.

Latest posts

Back