Mare close to foaling

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KrazyHorses

Reaction score
My little mare April is getting close to foaling. How close? I'm not sure.

Her exposure to the stallion began in September 2005.

Her previous owner said she foaled 30 days early with her last foal (which was her first one).

The vet was out yesterday to give her shots and agreed that she was close. He gave me some 7% iodine to dip the stump (he said my iodine wasn't strong enough). I purchased a tube of Banamine paste from him for after delivery (I read that on one of the threads on this site). I have some OB shoulder length gloves on hand (hope I won't have to use those).

I check her back end everyday for 'wrinkle smoothing' (lengthening). The top of her rump is already looking sunken.

Does this mean I am on "Mare Stare" from now through the month of August?

Any other helpful tips would surely be APPRECIATED :bgrin

I would say yes, you are going to be on MARESTARE!
default_smile.png
Do you know when in September she was exposed? What does her udder look/feel like? Is it filling? Since her last foal was the first she'd had, you'll have to watch to know when she's getting close this time as when they are maidens they do most anything when it comes to foaling. (unpredictable little stinkers
default_wink.png
: )

Good luck and keep us updated.
default_yes.gif
:

Jodi

Do you know when in September she was exposed? What does her udder look/feel like? Is it filling?
I double checked my notes and the email I have from her previous owner said her exposure to the stallion started in September (and she continued to be with the stallion for the next 5-months)...it did not give a specific day.

She has started to fill, but not to the point of huge or dripping.

Thanks for the PM...I really appreciate your help! :bgrin

OK, I found the thread with all the helpful tips on foaling.

I still want to ask about bedding. The vet said to get some straw for her stall. I was reading on the helpful tips thread that many people with mini's use grass hay.

Is it a definite NO-NO to keep the shavings in the stall?

Can you just add a layer of grass hay or straw to the top?

What about Woody Pet?

Latest posts

Back