Mare close I hope

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kristi@berrett-ranch

Reaction score
I have a mare that the former owners said was due in January but she still hasn't went yet. They pastured bred her so I know that their time could be off some. In January she did not have many signs that she was close but now she is beginning to develop her bag and showing some signs. She is big and looks miserable, tonight one side of her belly was popped out more than the other. My husband says maybe that is the foal turning to position? I am worried that she should have already had it by now and that the extended time means trouble. I had our local vet out but he wasn't much help, he basically said there was no way he could tell us how far along she was. Any advice???

Sounds like the former owners weren't sure of their dates, or didn't observe the breeding? But then, I've had a mare go a full 365 days, and produce a perfect foal with no problems. It sounds like she's headed in the right direction--developing her bag. I've had one on stand-by now with a milk pH of 6.4 for a week! Frustrating, but remember, the mares haven't read the book!

Enjoy and watch! I wouldn't expect her cooking a little longer to be a sign of problems just yet.

Thank you for your reply, makes me feel better!

The mares don't read the books that say gestation is 340 days or there abouts, they cook 'em as long as it takes. My AQHA mare had her first foal on day 360 or there about (I sent her out to be bred April 1-7 and she foaled March 31 the following year, so well-cooked filly came out ready for almost anything).

I bought two minis that were pasture bred as well so I have no clue as to when they are due. The prev. owner said that they should be due from now or in March. One doesn't look preg at all the other yes and I think I felt the baby kick. good thumps. other then what I have read what are some other signs you guys have seen. i have been watching the mare stare just to see how other girls do. So different then dogs. The one that I have that is due in april she is showing the most signs.

thanks for any advise and good luck on your girl.

It really depends on the mare. Knowing a mare well really helps. One of my mares turns into a b..... as soon as she is pregnant and then goes nice again about 1 month before birth. All my mares are pasture bred so I never really know when they are due. I can normally feel a foal moving about 3 months before but I can see a foal moving about 1 1/2 months before. They usually start to bag up 20 days before but only start giving milk 10 days before which will slowly change in colour and texture. All my mares seem to grow loads the last month. If they are rugged I have to add strap extensions at this point as they will not close due to their large bellies.

good luck

Latest posts

Back