Mare bagging up

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

heart k ranch

Reaction score
I have a mare due late March. This is her 4-5th foal, but first one for me.

I have been checking her everyday, but about a week ago she started to bag up. But Monday I felt and one side is bigger then the other, a noticable difference. I've never seen that before. They feel warm but not hot. She started to kick out at me, which she has never done.

Is that ok?

I'll post pictures as soon as they download...

Last edited by a moderator:
This is weird as I was going to post this same question, only my mare is 324 days. Early on she swelled up in front of her udders and it was spongy. I asked the vet about it and she said some mares get a little fatty there. Well, as her "baggin up" process has proceeded along (very up and down) the swelling has hardened right along with her udders. Her right udder is hard and tight however her left side is still really flabby looking and spongy to the touch, however it feels as though that swelling in the front of her udders is part of her mammary tissues. When I express for calcium tests the soft flabby side is easier to milk.

This mare has me totally perplexed.

Curious to hear what others have to say. My vet will be out Monday and I'm going to have her take a look and see what she thinks. I've never seen anything like this.

Her udders in a "normal state" are abnormally large IMO.

default_biggrin.png
That is what mare is doing.

I've always had mine bag up but both teats would be the same...

I have found that many mares will progress like this with the milk coming in at different rates, making each side feeling different from time to time, and also they will get firm, then go soft, and back and forth like this. Once they get hard(firm) and stay that way, then I know she's getting close. Good Luck!

Latest posts

Back