Mare Aborted.............This Is Long

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am so sorry for your loss, but also wanted to thank you for sharing your photos with us. What you are doing is help educate others, and I for one, do appreciate it.

Best wishes,

Liz R.

So sorry for your loss.

Thank-you for taking the photos, they are a very valuable learning tool, and with your permission I will add them to my webpages. I can also include a link to your farm website, if you have one.

((((Big Hugs too you!!)))))

I am so sorry! That is so heartbreaking
no.gif
but I am glad your mare is ok.

Could you please send all the pics you took to me for my file? Thanks!!!

[email protected]

Sheri

Last edited by a moderator:
Good Morning Everyone!

Thank you all for your kind words, warm thoughts, and support
wub.gif

Dixie is doing just fine this morning, I don't think she really understood, either that or she just knew there was nothing she could do.

For all of you who asked about progesterone......................

Last year (June 04') when we got this mare in foal, we had her ultrasounded at 27 days and started her on Regumate, checked her again at 50 days and all was well.

My vet had me keep her on the Regumate and let him know if I ever saw any kind of discharge.

Well at 225 days, this past spring, I noticed discharge so the vet came out and she was open. It was determined that she had absorbed the fetus sometime between the 100 and 200 day mark. Because of her being on the regumate she never expelled all the remnants of the fetus which caused her to get infected. So we took her off the Regumate which caused her to expell everything, and we put her on heavy doses of Antibiotics. In April we ultrasounded her, and she was deemed clean for breeding. I bred her this year on May 2cd while we had her on another round of antibiotics. She conceived, first try, like she always does. We had her ultrasounded this pregnancy at 18 days, 35 days, 45 days, 60 days, 95 days, and most recently at 157 days. The last ultrasound we did both external and internal. The external determined that the fetus was healthy with a good heartbeat. On the internal my vet measured Dixie's placenta thickness and it was normal.

We had checked her progesterone and thyroid levels every time we ultrasounded her.

If at any time her progesterone levels were even a bit off we were going to give her Regumate, but her levels were completely normal each time, so were her thyroid levels.

I took blood from her yesterday as soon as she aborted, so the vet is running the tests again to see if something changed in her levels.

Like I said this mare has major foaling issues, but we've kept trying because every time it's a different problem, and some of the problems are not her fault but the fault of her past caretakers. Plus she gets in foal in one cover. But like I said unless something easily fixable is determined I won't be breeding her again.

I honestly don't know about the cord issue, if it was twisted beyond normal or not. But my vet has told me that usually a twisted cord is the result of a fetus in distress because of some other issue, like infection.

Thank you all again! I will be emailing pictures to those of you who asked for them.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm so sorry this happened. Thank you for taking and posting the

pictures. As sad as this is, your posting just may help someone else

{{{HUGS}}} to you and your mare...

Lindsay, You've taken such great care, on what had to be such a sad day for you and Dixie, to photograph the baby in such detail.

Although I'm sure we all pray not to experience such a loss, it is of such great

educational tool.

I'm sorry for this sad loss!

So sorry for your loss.
sad.gif
How ever - thanks for taking the time to post the pictures. I am sure they will be of educational value to many. Lori

Sorry for your loss but those were really great pictures.

Lindsay,

I am so so sorry
sad.gif

And you were so conscientious too about everything.

I hope things start going much better for you.

Susan O.

I too want to tell you how sorry I am for you and your mare but her attitude toward this loss says she probably realized something was wrong. We lost one in February and it is so very disappointing. Thank you so much for posting the pics that could easily help someone else especially if you also let us know the necropsy results. Our little girl went to the vet hospital to be used as a teaching tool for new vets and we never did find out what caused the abortion but just knowing she is helping a new class of vets learn about minis helped ease the hurt.

Aw, your poor mare! Thanks for sharing the photos, as previously said, very educational.

Sorry for your loss.

Thank you for sharing your loss with us. Being able to see the foal helps so much especially with the ruler. Very educational.

So sorry for your loss.
no.gif

[SIZE=14pt]I'm sorry for your loss.
sad.gif
[/SIZE]

I do have one question though. Why does the filly not have hair yet? Shouldn't she have started growing it a while ago?

Thank you,

Sam

[SIZE=14pt]So sorry for your loss!
sad.gif
But, Thank You for taking the time to take those wonderful pix! Some folks have never sen an aborted fetus, so this is a great education for them! Measureing the fetus is important to see if the development is at the proper stage, and in this case it's right on the money! I don't think the cord was twisted bad enough to cause this mare to abort! IMO! it would have had to have been twisted a whole lot tighter than the pix showed to cause the baby to die and the mare to abort! Please give us an update when you get the results of the test back! Again I'm sorry for your loss!
[/SIZE]

Bill

Thank you all again!
wub.gif

Dixie appears to be back to her normal self this morning. I'm still checking her temp though to watch for infection, just in case.

I will post the necropsy results when I get them, they said mid-week.

So very sorry for your loss. You really went to bat to try to keep this pregnancy and in previous years also. I had a mare years ago that sounds just like your mare. I figured all the problems were natures way of saying that this mare, for one reason or another, just is not meant for the broodmare band. I traded her so she'd be in a home that would cherish her as a pet. I too lost one out of my favorite mare a few weeks back. The fetus looked very much like yours. Again , so sorry....

Tammie

I am so sorry for the loss of your foal. It is never easy no matter what stage of development they are in.

Thanks so much for sharing the pictures of Dixie's foal, it is just amazing how perfectly formed they are at that stage of growth.

Hugs to your precious Dixie and to you, also!

Latest posts

Back