Mange anybody?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

~LadyBug~

Reaction score
no.gif
ok so this poor little dog shows up at my door, he looks like a blue tick/beagle mix. His hair is fallen out in alot of spots and he has really flaked skin. I am guessing Sarcoptic mange...

does anybody have experience with this? I am an X vet tech but never dealt with it myself!! I dont want my dogs or myself exposed so i am not touching him or letting my dogs near him...but it may already be in the environment.

Right now i have him tied down the hill with shelter, food and water away from my house and pets, and im going to go to the vet to get some Canine Revolution to treat my dogs tomorrow, I use frontline for fleas but if i remember correctly the revolution prevents sarcoptes mange.

the sad part is I believe the dog belongs to my neighbor down the road, who has alot of hound dogs, and i cant bring myself to bring this dog back to them. I hear this man beating and yelling at his dogs constantly. I have come close to turning him in, he has about 12 hound dogs and he abuses them
no.gif

this little dog is skin and bones, unneutered of course...
wacko.gif

but anyways does anybody have any experience with mange?? how susceptible (sp??) are my dogs right now?? I really do not want to turn him over to the shelter because they will probobly euthanize before treating the mange. It breaks my heart because this dog is soo sweet, but so afraid at the same time, he acts liek he has been hit many times
no.gif

Thanks for any advice!!

Ashley

My experience is some dogs are susceptible and some aren't ...we had a pitbull when I was a child who constantly was being treated for mange and yet our sheperd mix and the other stray at our house never got it ever..........get the treatment from your vet and just take regular quarantine type precautions and all should be fine...again just my experience.....

It is easily treatable. Might go away and never return and provide you with a life of companionship (along with the rest of your animals). Its caused by mites living in and on the skin and as I said responds well to most forms of treatment. Speak with you vet to see his or her recommended course of treatment.

Sarcoptic mange is easily treatable.

Demodectic mange is treateable, but the success rate is pretty low.

The dog will need to have his skin scraped and looked at under the microscope to determine which one it is. Demodex is little cigar shaped mites.

If his skin isn't oozing, I'd say he has a good chance of recovery. Your vet will know the best way to treat the poor dog. I understand (from watching animal planet) that all dogs have these mites already on them, but for some reason they will get out of control and cause mange. Overall, I'd say your dogs should be okay, but I still think it is a good idea to keep them apart until treatment starts to yield results.

Good luck. Maybe you can treat the little beggar and find him a better home away from that neighbor?

Heidi

I believe Ivermectin is the drug of choice but I would never use it without the Vets say so- it can have very adverse effects in some dogs. Good Luck with him- if he gets over this I would say you have yourself another dog!!!
smile.gif

We rescued a puppy with mange one time when my hubby was on chemo. Couldn't afford a vet, so tried a home remedy that a lady told us about. Didn't work for us
no.gif
What got her over it, in a last-ditch effort before having her put down, was ivermectin. Just a little tiny drop of the paste was all it took. I had to force it down her because she couldn't stand it. Of course, being an X vet tech, you probably know the dangers of using ivermectin on dogs. Like I said, this was a last ditch effort before putting her down.

Caution! These mange mites can get on YOU too! Our whole family was itching like crazy and miserable
wacko.gif
But mange mites are species specific so once you treat the dog successfully, they'll all die off (in about 21 days
unsure.gif
). Just be super careful when around this poor guy. Bless you for taking him in and not taking him back to his "owner"
yes.gif

take the dog to the vet and make sure the diagnosis is actually mange... flea allergies can look like mange, and so can some skin problems that dogs get... some dogs that are blue merle color can get a sort of dermatitis that looks awful, but it is not mange... make sure what you are dealing with first, then you will know what to do to treat it.... poor pup, hope you can help it...

hmmm this just came to me.......never tried it on a dog......but I had a rabbit with mites and a long time breeder told me to cover the rabbit with baby oil/mineral oil had to soak the bunny down good worked like a charm and the bunny had extra soft hair after that
wink.gif

Thanks everyone!
aktion033.gif

Looks like im going to go with an ivermectin treatment, yes I am aware of how precise the dosage needs to be.

Im also going to try the baby oil trick on his skin because it is awful.

I am very close to sure that it is sarcoptic mange, it does not look anything like demodex.

Thanks again for all the advie, i will let you know how it goes!!

Ash

Latest posts

Back