Manes

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RnRs Lilnickers

Reaction score
What can I use to get the knots out of my mares mane? I think there was a thread on here with different things you could use but I can't seem to fine it. Thanks
default_unsure.png
:

I've had good luck with baby oil. I've also used WD-40 but don't like the smell!
default_smile.png

Another one I like is the Cowboy Magic detangler, but I can't always get it (I live in the middle of nowhere) so the baby oil is one I always fall back on.

My farrier swears by WD-40 but I havent actually tried it since it does have a smell to it -- we use our actual detangler -- like for people on it and it has worked great.

Hi, this is my first post :bgrin

I was wondering about the weight of their heavy manes. Is there anything you do to thin them out. I was told the weight can actually pull on their necks
default_unsure.png
:

cowboy magic alll the way! i swear by the stuff and i actually think it makes their manes and tails grow!

I really like the Tangle Wrangler... It looks like a hairbrush but is in fact several combs "stuck" together at the handle. I don't know why, but it really makes short work of tangly manes and tails.

Also, for really thick manes (my gelding's mane is 2 inches wide, I swear!) I sometimes use a dog de-matting brush, which is really several sharp blades that you can drag through the underside of the mane to remove a bunch of hair without leaving bald spots... Probably not orthodox, but it helps!

I have seen horses whose crests have "fallen," apparently because of the weight of too-thick or too-long manes. So I keep my beasties trimmed and thinned, as time permits, of course.

Hope this helps!

WD-40 works well on the really bad knots, but I swear by Vetroline Detangler. It doesn't take much and if you work it in well, it does not leave a greasy residue. It works really fast too.

You can also take a pair of clipers and just clip the underside of the mane to thin it. You can't really tell that you've done it, and it really helps to lighten up their manes w/o removing any length and helps them lie nicer too.

Is there anything you do to thin them out
.... Depends upon how much time you want to spend thinning the mane. Takes a long time to use the thinning method that looks best but should be done on show horses at least if necessary..................................If you use the clippers & clip underneath then you will have to continue doing that as the short hair will poke through as it grows out........... You can take a pair of scissors & cut up into the mane rather than cut it straight across.... I have at times cut the bottom off of the mane (not straight across) but followed the natural growth pattern length. Then I take the scissors & cut up into it to thin it out like it grows naturally......................There have been posts made on here through the years where foals feet have gotten tangled up in the dams manes so it is a good idea to keep them shorter & thinned out if you can't keep the tangles out.

Last edited by a moderator:
Be careful with M-T-G..... There was a local lady here who used it on her horses tail and the reaction was so harsh that the horses tail is permanently damaged, left with bare scabs, white hairs, and missing chunks of flesh. Any product can cause a reaction if the horse has an allergy of course, but I had never seen something so dramatic.

Also, use caution with wd-40. It is not made for use on people or animals and should not get into eyes, ears, nose ect. Also, it should not have prolonged exposure to the body. I would use just about any human hair detangler. There are some really good ones. Cowboy magic is really good, but as someone said, may be hard to find. If you want something right away, use a children's hair detangler from your local shampoo aisle.
default_smile.png

Good luck.

Angie

I like Cowboy Magic too but Ventrolin detangler costs a lot less and I think smells better. I just saturate the knot and it parts easily using your fingers.

I'm not one to cut my minis mane and hate the upkeep of undercutting so I won't do it. One of my mini's manes is almost 3" wide so he's incredibly bushy. I keep the mane conditioned with the Ventrolin but when I want him to look especially pretty, I use the Maxiglide hair straightener on him. It makes his mane the consistency of thick human hair and just by relaxing the friz it looks much thinner without wrecking his mane by cutting.

I know I've posted these before and you may have seen them but this straightener is absolutely the most awesome thing I've ever used on a thick, unmanageable mane.

Before...

alfb4.jpg

After...

alfafter.jpg

Where do you find Ventrolin? Maxiglide hair straightener? and the and what is the general price please.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back