Manes, Tails and sunbleaching

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seahorse

Reaction score
I need to do something with my gelding's mane and tail. (his first show will probably be in May)

Is there a more natural way to fix sun bleaching than to dye the hair?

Dose the dye have any negative affects on the hair?

Also, if I dye it should I use true black color? (his bridle path and underside of tail are jet black)

These pictures aren't the most flattering (neither is my clip job
default_wacko.png
) But at least you can see his color.

310280563.jpg

and here's a full body shot.

310280612.jpg

There is only one product that works on manes and tails without damaging the hair. It will last all show season.

Roux Young Color

We get it at Sally's Beauty Supply here. They'll tell you at the beauty supply they only sell it for horses and dogs.

Products like Loving Care will rinse right out. Products with peroxide work by lifting the natural color out of the hair and depositing the new color. This is why as they wear out of the hair you get red (the base color of all but blonde hair )

You can thicken the Young Color with corn starch for use in the forelock. Any place the color drips on the body will stain, even through longer hair. It does wear off of the body in a couple of baths.

Wear gloves and put the tail in a walmart bag while you're waiting for the 20 mins to pass.

I use duck bill hair clips and section the mane, apply color, braid hair, and twist and hold in place with the clip. Then I go to the next section of mane and repeat.

It's a little, oh h*ll, a lot messy, but they look so good when you're finished.

IF the natural tail color is black, use the black. It only comes in Dk Brown and Black (at least where I buy it) Buy at least 2 bottles of color per horse.

Pm me if you want more info.

This guy looks really dry. He could use some conditioning on his mane and tail. Honestly I would be afraid to color him with his hair that dry as it will break. I would start conditioning his mane and tail asap. This will also help train it to lay over. Get some MTG on it asap

Thank you journeys end for the recommendation! I'll see if any ware around here sells it.

I didn't realize his hair was so dry. Will human hair conditioner work well? Our local tack store does not seem to have any MTG.

Thanks!
default_saludando.gif

If you have a Tractor Supply anywhere around, they carry Shapely Products.... (thanks Kaykay), and the M-T-G and hair polish work GREAT!!! The M-T-G Stinks, but is great!

Chris

Hi! In the past and still we use human conditioner,

moister max is a good one It is also found @ Sally's

(white bottle with blue writting) I see nothing worng

with human products we also use shampoo and conditioner

when we wash them no matter if its a big show or small

it works great. and is a lot better on the check book lol.

Sarah Orangias

Rosemill Training Center

www.rosemilltrainingcenter.com

This guy looks really dry. He could use some conditioning on his mane and tail. Honestly I would be afraid to color him with his hair that dry as it will break. I would start conditioning his mane and tail asap. This will also help train it to lay over. Get some MTG on it asap
You would be correct with a normal hair color, but this Roux Young Color is perfectly safe.

I started as a hairdresser and then spent 20 years working for L'Oreal/Lancome before becoming a farrier.

In addition to using the products recommended (and yes, we use human conditioner too).......but for our black show horses, we keep them out of the direct sunlight during the middle of the day, much like you'd do if you wanted to avoid getting sunburned.

During daily groomings I use Healthy Hair Care Mouisturizer in their manes, tails, and practically all over. It really helps keep everything soft and supple. I also give a coat supplement, as well as "hot oil" treatments every 2 weeks.

Both my guys are black and get dyed before every show.

Healthy Hair Care came out with a product that is suppsed to protect against sunburn and sunbleaching. I am going to pick up a bottle in the next week or so.. Healthy Hair has done well for me, so I figure it is well worth the try.. I will let you know how it works.
default_smile.png

I would suggest hot oil treatments as well. I also use Absorbine Show Sheen. It comes in a spray bottle, soak the hair and skin and rub in with your hands (will keep them soft too). This stuff is great!!! It also repels dirt and stains and makes manes and tails easy to comb through. The first step is to keep them out of direct sunlight. When I was showing a black horse, they were turned out at night and kept inside during the day.

Kelly

Latest posts

Back