Mane length

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Voodoo

Reaction score
I just had a question about the mane length on the minis. Does everyone show them with the exceptionally long manes like the Arabians? Everywhere I look I see long long kind of pointed manes that cover the horses shoulder. I like more of the QH look so my question is, could I show with it pulled up shorter to give the QH look. I'm not talking blunt cut 2" long, but just pulled up so that it was about 6-8" long and nice and even all the way back? Also, I see alot of people cutting very long bridle paths. I prefer something about 3-4" long rather than way down the neck. So could I show this way or do you have to follow the trends to win. I'm not talking national level just some of the local shows and such. I do love the long thick tails so that's not a question at all
wink.gif

Well Im not sure about the manes but I think when the bridal path is cut longer its to make the neck look longer. I could be wrong though. Im still learning myself.

Each horse is different. You have to stand back and really look at each horse. Try clipping the mane up and taking a good look at what it exposes. If the horse has a really nice shoulder and the neck ties in nice then yes I trim it shorter. Although I do not blunt cut it. I do more of a natural cut and try to follow the natural angle of the mane.

As far as the bridal path, it also depends on the horse. If the horse has a beautiful head and neck then by all means cut it long and let it show. I am a middle of the road person. I think 3-4 inches is too short but I dont like the 12-15 inch long ones either. I would say my average bridal path without measuring would be appx 8-10 inches. Usually gets longer as the show year progresses,
laugh.gif

The rule for cutting a bridle path is turn the ear back on the neck and cut it 1" past that for a perfect neck. For the not so perfect neck you have to use your own judgement. If they have a beautiful throatlatch show it off and trim a longer bridle path. If their neck is short and thick a little longer bridle path can add a bit of length but don't go too far.

Minis are shown with a full mane and so you don't want to trim it like a quarter horse. Pulling or shaving it to shape it some is OK but I wouldn't do it straight across if I were you.

Just so I don't confuse everyone. I definately wasn't planning on cutting it blunt across. Just pulling it up a little shorter, but doing it so it looked natural. When I said straight across I simply meant taking the v or point that hangs down their shoulder off so it was straighter. I'm hoping to keep it natural looking just a little shorter. Thanks for all the advise so far guys.

I like more of the QH look so my question is, could I show with it pulled up shorter to give the QH look.

Why would you want a mini to have the QH look?

I know, I know, old habits are hard to break.

But when in Rome.......

Yes Marty, I know, when in Rome do as the Romans do. However I see most of the people showing minis making them look, groom, act, and show like Arabians. Sooooooo that's copying another breed as well. The mini horse breed really doesn't seem to ME (JMHO) as if it has its own way of grooming and showing because it is so much like the arabs (never been a fan can you tell
rolleyes.gif
_) anyway thanks everyone and I'll think hard on it before doing anything.

I understand what you mean and was confused at first. It seems they like the manes thinned not cut. My mini has thin mane for a mini so I just need to thin it and thinning will shorten the mane some anyhow. Also done with the tail. Some mini's that have a super thick mane have to have almost half of the mane shaved underneath to make the mane look thin. Usually the bridle path is done like the Arabs. Depends on the neck but elbow to hand length measurement is pretty close. If that makes sense? lol

I also show APHA horses at halter so the tread is way different. But, if you wish to win then go to a few mini shows and watch what seems to be the tread. That is what I have been doing.

Good luck!

Voodoo said:
Yes Marty, I know, when in Rome do as the Romans do.  However I see most of the people showing minis making them look, groom, act, and show like Arabians.  Sooooooo that's copying another breed as well.  The mini horse breed really doesn't seem to ME (JMHO) as if it has its own way of grooming and showing because it is so much like the arabs (never been a fan can you tell 
rolleyes.gif
_) anyway thanks everyone and I'll think hard on it before doing anything.
500306[/snapback]

As Annette said, do what looks best on the individual horse.

Nowhere in the rulebooks does it say that you need to do things one way only. For everyone who says you must do it one way, you'll see someone else doing things a bit differently and succeeding. On the other hand, just because something works on another horse doesn't mean it will make yours a winner. It mkay make one horse look great, but make yours look awful.

I wouldn't suggest being different just to be different, and you don't want to go to extremes, but if you prefer a shorter mane and it looks right for your horse, DO IT.

For a few years in a row we had to show a mare with only about 3 inches of mane down by her withers only because she rubs it all out on the round feeders every winter.
laugh.gif
She still placed well regardless. Also showed one this year who only had and you could count them all 10 hairs for a forelock. Runs in the dams side no forlocks. The other one we didn't think would go to the last show so her forelock was cut straight across her head about an inch long and she got a grand with her funny looking haircut. Sooo l really don't think manes /forelocks are the be all on a horse. Have also seen a horse in halter totally roached and his tail blunt cut way above his hocks and if l recall correct out of a large class he placed fourth.
laugh.gif

Latest posts

Back